LR question

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by elweshomayor, Oct 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Im trying to set up a 150 gallon tank. But i came across a little problem.
    $cash$. i found a way to solve it, but im not sure it will work. Thats why i came here to see if i can do that.

Ok so i have the tank, and Stand and sump. Im getting the sand next week because my LFS guy went on a vacation so i need to wait for him to come back. Anyways. so the problem is. can i start the tank with just the sand and then add the LR later? ( i need about 4 weeks to get the money for 100pounds)

(lol im 16, i only work on weekends)

2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

4. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

wow this is my 4th thread with no answers.

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

you can but it would be pointless. It will completely restart your cycle. There would be no reason to set it up with just the sand.
    If money is an issue, why use live rock? Use base. Less than half the cost, plus you won't inherit all the problems that are associated with live rock.

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

well i kinda wanted to add some LR as well as Base. now that i think about it, it i might go for 70 pounds of base and maybe 30 of live rock. but then ill have to wait longer. lol patience...

7. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

any other suggestions

8. Click Here!

9. brettwest

brettwest Spaghetti Worm

Its usually better to put the rock in before the sand as shifting sand can cause your rocks to fall and possibly break the tank.some People ive seen on here put eggcrate(flourescent lighting cover)in the bottom of their tank so the rock isnt directly on the bottom glass.I made part of my rock myself and designed it so the bottom pieces have legs that hold it up off the sand.Thats odd that you havent received reply from two threads on here,there's usually someone with comments/knowledge.Good luck and keep us posted.

10. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

yea, it was a bummer. i got my answers at another forums website though.

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Why would you have to wait longer? Base rock vs live does not affect cycle time at all. If you use live sand, you wouldn't have to use any live rock.

12. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

+1 on base rock. MUCH cheaper and if you are using live sand and maybe 5-10 lbs live rock, the cycle wont take any longer. You cycle isn't going to do anything just sitting in water. You need a source of ammonia. I'm using 80lbs of base rock on my 65 gallon and 10lbs of live rock from my established 10 gallon reef I'm upgrading.

Patience is a virtue in this hobby. Your base rock will become live before you know it, and you can take the money you saved and put it towards better lights/protein skimmer.