LR Curing going swimmingly... I think...

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Stoll, Feb 15, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stoll

Stoll Astrea Snail

Alright, after reading a bunch of threads here, reading a couple books and other sites, I decided to cure my 70lbs of Tonga rock in 2 - 30gal tubs, each with a heater and a Seio 620 PH.

I initially picked over all the rocks, pulling off any sponges or dead lookin stuff, then put into the tubs. After 24 hours the water was quite gross looking, green and cloudy. I did a 10% water change in each tub after 24 hours and again at 48 hours. The water was still disgusting, so at 4 days I did a complete change, including shaking the be-jeebus out of each piece in a clean bucket of water before placing into the clean tubs.

That was 1.5 weeks ago, and since then I've done 2 10% changes to each tub and the water is remaining pleasantly clean, just a slight green tinge, and no smell.

I'm thinking about putting the rocks in my tank this weekend, possibly friday night, and am wondering if I should put the live sand and substrate into the tank when i initially fill it. If there is any leftover die-off which I'm sure there will be, I don't want the good stuff from the live sand to suffer. I'll take some pics tonight and post em.

2. Click Here!

3. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Did you check the AM in the tubs? The LS will be ok many poeple do it that way.As long as you dont have any live stock in when you set it up.youll have another AM spike after you get everything on line. just let the mini cycle complete