lps frag how to and tips ??

Discussion in 'Frags' started by chaliceguy89, Oct 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chaliceguy89

chaliceguy89 Banned

anyone have any useful into or tips ?

2. Click Here!

3. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Really depends on what you are fragging. Im sure if you post which corals you are looking to frag many will be able to share their experiences with you for help

4. chaliceguy89

chaliceguy89 Banned

5. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I myself have not done it so I would wait for others to chime in, but I believe chalices are as simple as breaking a piece off and gluing it to a frag disk or rock. I think I read something awhile ago where depending on the species of chalice, putting the broken piece in the middle of the original colony would allow it to fuse back to the colony and help create interesting shapes.

As far as Acan I think you just cut them into pieces using something sharp to almost saw through it instead of crushing it.

6. chaliceguy89

chaliceguy89 Banned

thanks il see if i get any other hits what kinda reef do u keep?

7. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I would use a band saw or a table saw and cut the skeleton under the coral :)

8. Click Here!

9. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

If you dont have a band saw the next best option is to use a diamond wheel disc on a dremel as that will give you fairly acceptable results for smaller pieces, Obviously you cant or rather shouldnt use the dremel on something like a large favia where the disc wont cut totally through the coral without having to flip it over and cut from the opposite side in order to connect the 2 cuts

I would NOT recommend just "breaking" a chalice in pieces as someone else mentioned as it is a VERY bad and damaging way of fragging that coral "or any coral" and you will NOT get nice clean breaks, you also will most likely break some eye's in half as well as do damage to the coral by actually tearing the flesh

As far as fragging LPS most times you just "cut along the line" so to speak and just cut BETWEEN the polyps and try not to cut the mouths, I realize that sometimes you have to cut through a mouth of a polyp but the less you have to do that the better you will be, As far as chalice's just cut between the eyes in any shape/size you want, Obviously some pieces you may only want to make 1-2 eye frags and other more common pieces you can do 10+ eye frags

If you have any other questions just shoot me a pm and I will help you out as I have alot of experience fragging most all types of corals/zoa's/nem's etc etc

10. chaliceguy89

chaliceguy89 Banned

thanks alot bro deff will do u have an inlandband saw ?

11. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

No I do not, I had one awhile back but it broke so I sold it locally for cheap, I honestly though the inland 1 was a POS in my eye's, They have however changed the design on them to my knowledge and are apparently much better than they used to be