lps being hosted

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by reeftrons, Apr 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reeftrons

reeftrons Astrea Snail

I have a clownfish who has decided to host in my candy coral. It is in a group of 12 corals. Some of the heads were looking stressed out for a while, but appear to be normal again. The hosting behavior seems to be innocuous, only gentle rubs and laying down in them. Is this behavior undesirable? I am concerned that the clown may agitate it too much. Should I be worried about them getting damaged or killed, or can these two form a relationship?

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

The canes will either grow to ignore it, or get pissed off. They will see no benefit from being hosted.

Just keep an eye out for damage or long term retraction.

4. rdarris

rdarris Feather Duster

depending on how rough the clown is being it can be ok, but ive had a large clown almost kill my flowerpot coral hosting in it. I had to go get a Nem to get him to leave it be.

for now I'd just watch it and see if the coral handles it well, if it looks happy its probably ok

5. reeftrons

reeftrons Astrea Snail

Thanks. I think the clown is a little slow in the head because there are other more desirable species in the tank for him to choose. I have a BTA and a Sarcophyton in the tank as well, but for some reason he wants to lay in the candy.