Lowering Nitrates????

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Kristiavi, Jul 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kristiavi

Kristiavi Coral Banded Shrimp

I have been fighting with nitrates from the being in my tank (which is now almost 6 months old) I cant seem to get them bellow 20 usually they are between 20-30. I do regular water changes, i do not over feed, and have more then enough live rock. Im also running a sump/fuge with more live rock and chateo. Still cant get them down. Any suggestions? My nitrites have consistantly been at 0 so thats great, but im still puzzled about the high nitrates. Any help would be great =]:confused::confused:

2. Click Here!

3. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

what are you using to test with?

4. Kristiavi

API 5 in 1 test strips

5. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

you should get a quality liquid based test kit. those dip strips are worthless. your nitrates might not be where you think they are.

6. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

The live rock in your sump could be collecting detritus and causing it if you don't clean it often

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

7. Kristiavi

Its live rock rubble and its in the fuge part of my sump, didnt know i was supposed to wash it?? lol

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Absolutely agree here; test strips are junk.

I would not concern myself until you are able to confirm they are actually as high as you think they are.

10. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

My live rock in the sump stays pretty good, but I have found using a baster & blasting a section of my DT rocks each week during maintenance helped alot.

+1 to test strips are crap. Good for pregenacy tests, bad for the hobby.

11. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'm basically in the same boat as you. My nitrate level will not go below 20ppm. I've been doing %10 water changes every day for the last week, and yesterday I did a %50 change. All the while I've been running carbon in a canister under extremely low flow.

Every day I use a turkey baster to clean off my live rock, clean out filter socks on a daily basis, and there is literally no detritus anywhere in my tank at this point... still high nitrates.

I'm about to just say forget about it and learn live with 20ppm. I hope you find an answer, maybe it will help me too.

I use three separate test kits, 2 liquid and 1 strip.

12. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

It seems like %50 of aquarists suggest using live rock in a sump and the other half suggest it is a bad thing because of detritus... can we get one unanimous answer once and for all on this?