lowering calcium??

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Gotteeguy, May 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gotteeguy

Gotteeguy Flamingo Tongue

my frogspawn has retracted into its skeleton from what i am guessing is too much calcium. it has been retracted for about 10 days.
    about 2 days ago i did a 60% water change because my calcium level was at 540 ppm. unfortunately the water change raised the calcium even more to 600 ppm! this is way too high so is there any way i can lower it without doing even more water changes, since that would probably raise it even more?!

2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

What is your sg at?

4. Gotteeguy

Gotteeguy Flamingo Tongue

also, my alkalinity is at 12 degrees and pH was just at 7.8 but i just added enough buffer to raise it to 8.1
    sg is 1.024-1.025

5. NanaReefer

7.8 is not bad for ph. I'd stop using the buffer. Your ph will swing throughout the day. Starting low and raising towards lights out. 7.8-8.4 are acceptable. 12 is a little high for alk but again nothing to really worry about. 7-11 is acceptable.
    Have your LFS test your calcium. May be you have a bad kit. Do you test your make up water?

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You will also want to test your Magnesium as this will help you get your parameters stable.;)

7. NanaReefer

Oops always forget about mag. Thanks for the reminder :)