Lower light corals

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by 3snacks125, Sep 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 3snacks125

3snacks125 Plankton

Hello, I have been researching for a few months and I have found a setup that might fit me, but the light is only 2 watts per gallon. I really want a reef, but the lighting is pretty low. If this doesn't work I'll have to find a new set up. I have heard of some lps and mushrooms doing better in low light but I don't know

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

If it's t-5 lighting you may be able to keep lower light corals but you will probably want to upgrade sooner rather than later so that you have more options as to what you can keep.If the lighting is led that old watts per gallon thing does not apply at all,give us some more info on what you are considering.

4. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

2w per gallon of LED is way more than 2w/gal ot T8. Can you describe the light better? There are some coral that need very little light, some are even non-photosynthetic!

5. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Mushroom, polyps, gsp, leathers, are all lower light corals imo,

Or there are corals that require no lighting, like
    chilli, sun, carnation, or some gorgonians, to name a few, but these are the more difficult corals and require regular feeding

6. sceia

sceia Astrea Snail

Check out some nps corals... They don't require light, but just a bit of feeding... :)

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

FTR, the old watts per gallon rule applied to T12VHO; I only have 1.65 wpg with my T5, and I have a variety of leathers, mushrooms and polyps that are doing great. Some even had trouble acclimating and do best on the bottom of the tank.