Low Salinity killing LR?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by new2salt2, May 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

ok. i did a water change and dripped in my new salt at what i thought was same salinity as my tank at 1.023 (low i know, working on it but that is another story), well i dripped it in over night and my SG actually lowered to 1.020. i have been slowly raising it back up , but now my LR is dying off. Everything else is fine. Is this normal? will it grow back? will i expect to see an amonia spike?

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

How do you know it is dying off?
    How much water did you change?
    How many times this month have you done water changes and why?

John

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

OK I'm wondering why you drip you replacment water. Why not just drain off some and add mix salt water back. I've got water changes down to about 5 minutes and going for shorter.

J

5. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

i dont heat the water so on a drip it gradually adjusts in tank. also helps me keep salinity where i need .. Well in most changes. it just seems when i do it fast it always messes it up. this was first time driping caused the problem.

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

If testing in the morning it will always be low.
    Wait for the lights to be on for over 2 hours and then test.
    This is why people drip kalk at night.

7. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Nautilus, I think he said he is dripping his change water in the tank, :-/ not Kalk   He has it on a saline drip  ;) ;D

8. Click Here!

9. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

yea naut. cause i finally got the problems worked out with the other stuff and was gonna raise it. turns out i mixed my chage water not the drip water so it dropped it a bit. i am getting it back now, but my LR is turning white

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

As long as all of the coralline doesn't die, it will come back. Have no fear. After your tank gets back to a proper Specific Gravity, scrape some living coralline in front of a powerhead to spread the spores. Then wait like a farmer.

11. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

well some has died off but not as much or as fast as rest of the rocks.. some places it is very very white. salinity back up now ill see what happens. that is good info on coraline spores.. like my work. you learn something new in this every day.

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Patience, that's all you need.  If you observe closely you will see the white parts of the rock turn a pale green or brown colour over the next few weeks and then other colours will occur.

That's my experience anyway :)

BTW N2S2, did you ever get that Mag test done?

John