Low PH with High Alk

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Jay, Sep 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Ever since I started testing my 30 gallon tank my ph has been low like 8.1 or mabey less while my Alk is on the high side 4.46. My calcium stays put around 410-450 and has never been under 400. How do I raise my PH while not raising my Alk. I think you use the same thing to raise them both right? Anyone have any clues?

Anyone please steer me down the right road to managing this

Thanks for your thoughts and time.

Jay

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Here, try this link Jay...as I am having a variation of the same problems....

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

It addresses the whole Alk , Calcium, Magnesium, pH problem....

I am not positive, but if your Alk test is in meq/L, then I don't think that is too high?? Is it? Isn't the range 4-6....

I try not to pretend like I really know...but it is a good article anyways.... :D

4. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thats right it is in meq but I thought it needed to be 2.7 to 3.7. Anyone please feel free to set us straight on this figure.

Jay Thanks 4 the link BL :]

5. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Its not my Alk that is out of whack its mp PH. How do I raise it without raising the ph?

Jay

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I take it you mean ....how to raise the pH without raising the Alk??? I don't know if you can....hmmmmm

I know when I add dKh builder , then alk goes up then pH goes up as well....ANYONE ELSE???? Pleeeaaassseee!!!!!

7. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Its probably ok since the PH is within range. 8.0 is not really low but I would like to have 8.3-4 because this affects the health of animals and calcification in corals is dependent on pH. That article says that calcification is lowered as the PH levels drops. It would just be nice to see a little higher but I am not going to risk throwing off the balance of Ca and Alk ions that I have now by dosing dkh.

Thanks for your input BL.

I need a timer for my lights any brands you prefer?
    My next project is goung to be refugiums and because I see your pictures in your album you have done a great job with yours I will probably need some pointers and tips from you when I build them. Hows yours working BTW? Does it really keep the nitrates down? Is your dentrinator functional yet? You guys ought to think about selling those. Your pics look like they are built by pros :].....Oh yea you people are huh

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Not me! Newbie like you! Ok. quasi newbie. I had a reef tank set up about 6 or 7 years ago....but WOW have things changed since then!!!!

An experiment you could run (I did per JohnO's recommendation) is aeration of tank water.

Get 2 cups or bowls of tank water. Aerate with an airstone for 24 hours...one inside the home, and one outside. If the pH rises, then you have poorly oxygentated water. The reason to do inside and outside is in case you may have poor oxygenation inside the home.

The fuge was pretty easy, I copied someone elses pretty much. The denitrator, well, that is another story. I am back to the drawing board on that one....it leaked! So , no that is not running. But so far, no nitrates....I have a DSB in the fuge. I have been up an running with rock since Sept. 4th. I got all my rock from a local guy tearing down his tank as well as all my sand. Had a mini cycle.