Low flow, non retracting corals?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by billybaldwin3, Jun 19, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billybaldwin3

billybaldwin3 Skunk Shrimp

so here's the deal....

I have my powerhead on the right side of the tank, and below it it looks empty and lonely be cause there isn't much flow directly below it :(

this is also the side of the tank where I feed my fish, so, my fire shrimp are always on this side of the tank.

what i'm trying to figure out is what type of coral I can put in this area....

i'm looking for a LOW FLOW coral, that doesn't retract the polyps when it's touched.
    and it will be touched, my fire shrimp go nuts when I feed them, so whatever is there isn't gonna get much flow, and is gonna get trampled twice/day.

I was thinking of getting another gorgonian, but there wouldn't be enough flow for it to survive, I doubt.

suggestions?

brain corals maybe?

2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I would say possibly Mushroom corals. It tends to take a lot for them to close up from what I've seen and they prefer low flow.

Alfie uk likes this.
  4. billybaldwin3

yeah, I've got a couple of those already on the other side of the tank. I was already thinking of moving them. but again, they retract their polyps when touched. the shrimp would def crawl all over them.

I've heard they prefer low flow too, but mine are actually growing quite fast on the part of my tank that gets the most flow! :)
    i'm kinda afraid to move them, they seem to be thriving! they're the first ones out I the morning, and growing the fastest....

5. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I guess it varies on the piece you get. I've had some in really high flow and some that thrived with almost no flow. Maybe a Ricordea rather than what you already have?

6. billybaldwin3

yeah, maybe i'll try one of those...

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

IME, the Actinodiscus prefers low flow. Much more than 20x and they move, close, or release and drift into a dark, no-flow zone.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

My ricordea prefer enough flow to actually move them slightly in the current. Weird. I though it was to much flow so I moved them and they never opened up. Moved them back and now there huge.

10. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

Mushrooms/rics for sure..
    Tons of colors to choose from..