Loud overflow, any sudgestions?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by texanjordan, Mar 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

I have a HOB Overflow that was built at my LFS. It has a piece of Hard PVC where the water drains down into my sump. I have no pre filter sponge around it and it makes a loud sucking noise intermittantly all of the time, I put some airline tubing down the tube and it stopped the loud sucking noise, but also made my DT overflow, so I pulled that out and I guess it was somehow blocking enought of the flow to make the water back up, I dont know how, the tubing is so small! Any how, does any one have any suggestions? My system is pretty quiet, and I would love to make it quiter and be able to stop hearing my wife ask, "what is wrong with your fish tank?"

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Can you post some pics of it??

4. texanjordan

I will tonight when i get home

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Need to see the style they made you as HOB OF come in many forms.

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Do you have any air in the "U" tube? A sponge on the stand pipe (if your drain has one) will help a little. Also if it is new it'll take awhile to 'break-in'. Mine gurgled and sounded like a toilet flushing for about a week but is very quiet now.

7. texanjordan

i have had it for a few months, plenty of break in time. There is no air in the U tube whatsoever, and with the sponge it actually made more noise than it does now, thats why i pulled it out.

8. Click Here!

9. texanjordan

How do you upload pictures? It asks me to enter a URL. I have the pics saved on my desktop

10. DanKistner

DanKistner Coral Banded Shrimp

click (go to advanced) and click the paper clip, i know you can do it that way by adding attachments.

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

You can also use photobucket and upload the photos there. Then copy the code for the photos (it is under each of the photos on photobucket)

12. texanjordan

1.jpg

3.jpg 1.jpg

First picture shows the overflow box, second picture shows the inside of the overflow box where the PVC pipe sticks out. I have airline tubing across the edge of the intake to stop some of the loud suction, it works alot of the time but is not pretty