lots of algae...no cure

Discussion in 'Algae' started by vdhillon2, Jul 12, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vdhillon2

vdhillon2 Astrea Snail

Hi,
    i have a 29 gallon reef that now seems to be almost overun with algae. i've had problems before, but not like this. There is alot of bubbles entrapped in algae. Then on the rock there is a bright green algae that seems to be covering everything. Also to make things better i have my mushrooms being taken over by a hairy dark brown algae.
    I suction them all out, but they just come back twice as bad. The parameters of the tank seem to be within limits...so i really don't understand why there is so much algae.
    I have been using tap water for the tank...can that be the reason? any help would be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Tap water could be a problem for sure. What are your nitrate and phosphate levels? How long has yout tank been up? What are you using for filtration? What kind of lighting do you have and how long do you keep it on?

4. vdhillon2

vdhillon2 Astrea Snail

The nitrates is zero...the tank has been running for close to 3 years now...but i've had it for about 8 months...the only filter i have on there is a penguin hang on the back filter plus a seaclone skimmer...i use PC lighting (165W) thats on for about 12 hours. I really haven't noticed any growth in my corals thats why i keep them on so long.

5. APC

APC Gigas Clam

How often do you do water changes? Have you made any changes to your normal routine recently (more light, higher temps, etc)?

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yes please provide a little more detail.. how is the circulation in the tank? How old are the lights?

7. vdhillon2

vdhillon2 Astrea Snail

i had a 110w jebo light that i recently installed into a canopy that i made, so i added another 55W that i had laying around. the jebo lights were fairly new (about 3 months) while the other 10K that i just put it is much older...does that make a difference? i know i have to replace it, but being old does that cause algae bloom. The other thing was about the tempreture. i noticed that it was getting pretty hot in the tank for the past week...like to 85 so i installed some fans two days ago...the tempreture is pretty stable now at 76.
    As far as water changes, i do once every two weeks...pretty regularly.
    For circulation i have have to aquaclear 20 pumps, the penguin hang on the back, and the seaclone 100.
    thanks for all your help...keep the questions comin if you need more info

8. Click Here!

9. APC

APC Gigas Clam

The increased temp may have encouraged the algae growth, but was probably not the only cause of the bloom.

I would definately stop using tap water ASAP. Get an RO/DI unit if you can. It will make a big difference. This time of year, municipal water and well water are exceptionally bad (lots of run off from lawns, warm temps, increased chlorine levels (if municipal that is), and who knows what else. You should use the RO water to make salt water, and for all of your freshwater top off, etc. Don't use tap water at all. Also, make sure you aerate your water overnight before adding it to the tank - you do not want to encourage hypoxic conditions this time of year.

Do you have any sort of clean up crew critters in there? Snails, hermits, lawn mower blennies, etc? They make a HUGE difference in algae control.

You may also want to temporarily shove a poly pad (high density filter pad) in your filter to help remove any phosphate.

Just a few ideas.

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Hi vdhillon :)

So, the tank has been up for 3 years and the over abundance of algae has just been in the last 8 months?

I assume the last time you had the problem would have been a few months after setting up the tank and then it went away for a while?

How many fish in the tank?

Other than syphoning are you trying to remove the excess algae by any other means?

What depth sand bed do you have and also how often do you feed?

Question, questions, questions :)

John

11. vdhillon2

vdhillon2 Astrea Snail

the problem started only a few weeks ago...i've had algae growth all the time, but the slimy bright green algae has just started recently...as well as the bubbles. I have 4 fish in the tank, mainly damsels. Other then siphoning there is no other method i use...or know of. My sand bed is probably about 3 inches and i feed them twice a day. I have about 20 crabs-red and blue as well as about 30 or so snails and a cleaner shrimp. thats about it for my clean up crew.
    Where can i get RO water from. I have a water tap filter but the connecter has broken, so i can't use that and i don't really want to buy a new one.
    thanks again for all the help.

12. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Many LFS's sell pre-made and sometimes pre-salt-made RO/DI water in Gallon jugs. My LFS sells it for a decent price though I'm not sure of the exact price cause I have my own RO/DI system (e-bay can yeild a decent unit for about $100-$150). I have had my tank now with no algea for about 1 year using RO/DI water.

Check out your LFS for pre-made jugs of RO/DI water and keep an eye on e-bay for a cheap unit of your own...u will save money in the long run making the water urself, but in the interim, LFS water will do just fine!

-Mike