Losing Zoo's

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by reefmonkey, May 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Well it was bound to happen to me eventually and it did. I really don't know what is going on but I have 3 colonies that look extremely ill today. I'm kinda thinking zoa pox since the symptoms are there. The confusing thing is that one colony is sick then hop up the same rock and 2 side by side colonies are fine but the colony of Gorilla Nipples on top of the rock is in real bad shape. The worst part is that clear across the tank on the right side my little colony of Armor of God is now sick this afternoon. But again the African deepwaters, Whammin Watermelon and Lunar Eclipse are all fine. I'm going to treat it as zoa pox but have to order furan 2 since nobody had it. Will use Lugol solution until it arrives I guess.

2. Click Here!

3. CoralQueen

CoralQueen Feather Duster

thats pretty awful sorry to hear that i have tons of zoas and haven't gotten zoa pox yet but i will knock on wood to that! What exactly are the symptoms of zoa pox and which once have you noticed?

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Color loss, white 'pock' lookin spots, no tentacle extension, not opening fully. Those are just some I can remember. This is the first real bad thing to happen to me. I've never even had an algae problem I couldn't handle in a week or so. I'm kinda freaking out atm because the AOG is my absolute favorites zoo's.

5. CoralQueen

CoralQueen Feather Duster

thats totally understandable i know that i would be freaking out also but hopefully with the meds and such they should get better! most likely you should be prepared for things to get a lil worse before they get better at first, at least thats what i have always heard... good luck!!

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

hope they pull through!

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

If you aren't seeing any pox, have you seen any nudi's? (Hang in there, you'll get through this).

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Vitamin C!!! Put Simenon and watch the recovery ;)
    also they sell trace iodine which helps softies a little bit

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Where is the best place to get vit c supement all i found was vita chem which is a food additive (not to hyjack)

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I was out of Lugols. I used the last of it when I bought the corals on tuesday. And of course no one had any of that either. So I just dipped them in a 45 drop per liter mix with Iodine Tincture. I can only dip two of the colonies because the Gorilla Nipples are covering the top of about a 5# rock and the other at the bottom of that rock have also attached to it.

I've heard you can crush/dissolve Vitamin C tablets in a container of tank water and bathe the softies there. Anyone else ever heard of this?

Edit: that should read 15 drop per liter..I did 3 liters and was thinking 45 sorry

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Pics forth coming as soon as I eat and drag out the tripod to get picks of the new bunch of Dwarf babies.