Losing Coraline....

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Scoffer, Nov 11, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas to follow. I have 2 good size pieces of rock which were solid purple a month or so ago, are now only about half covered in purple. The larger of the 2 rocks is now almost all a dark green algea? green coraline? Im ordering new test kits including a calcium test kit tomorrow...but Id thought Id ask and see if anyone can help...

20 15 or so turbo snail...3 blue emerald crabs...

would the coral beauty be eating the coraline??

thanks

Scoffer

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

This is normal Scoffer. Odds are once the coaline has become acustom to the new lighting it is living in it will return. Is it going white? The green algea will subside and the coraline should take back over.

Jason

4. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Part of one rock, the small one that was all purple...is going white. Now this white is, to me, the bare rock showing. Is that what you mean?

And Ive had the lights almst 2 months now...are they still "new" to the tank??

Thanks a ton Jason

Sco

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well like Jason said, could be adjusting to lighting or may be related to calcium levels and alkalinity. DId you get test kits yet?

6. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

no....ordered them this morning.... prob. be tuesday before they get here....I may take a sample to my lfs and see if they will test the calcium level....

is the alk test (stupid question probably) completely seperate from calcium?? isnt there something that comes with the calcium test? I havent checked alk , but I might even has a hot tub test kit which should al least let me know the range Im in....

Hopefully Ill know more tomorrow after the visit to my lfs for test....otherwise everything seems to be doing good. My green button polyps look ok, but they haven't spread any. maybe gotten a little bigger, but no extra growth....
    Is this a slow growth? I kinda thought it was a visible growth pattern.....

thanks again for the help....ill post my results in the AM and let ya'll know what I find...

Scoffer

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Did you test it yet?

8. Click Here!

9. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

not yet..they were suppose to be in today, but I havent seen the UPS man yet. I better check the tracking and make sure what they said was right....

Thanx
    Sco

10. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

I don't know if this pertains to you or not but I had a real problem with green algae taking over my tank for a long time until I started using RO/DI water. What kind of water are you using? Do you know the ppm of it?

11. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

don't know PPM of the water itself. I use the RO, UV, etc....out of the machine at either a Publics, or a Winn Dixie. (Sorry no Piggly Wiggly's here). :)

I see very little green on anything except the one piece of rock, the other was solid purple, but is slowing losing it.

Did I mention I got a new Coral Beauty? They won't eat coraline will they?

thanks

Sco

12. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

if i scrape off all the coralline on my walls and let it float around in my tank will that spread it and make it grow faster. Or will it now grow for a while if i do that. I want more coralline on my rocks will that work.