Looking to upgrade to a bigger tank!!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Wolffvet, Apr 22, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wolffvet

Wolffvet Astrea Snail

I have been thinking I want to upgrade to a bigger tank and right now since I don't have any fish or corals would be the time to do it. I am thinking a 100 gallon would do the trick for now as I don't have room for much bigger. I like the tenecor acrylic show tank with the blue background. My question is who makes the best? Alos, is longer or wider better when it comes to a tank for a reef setup?

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i think wider is better. when we were choosing b/w a 55 or 75 they are the same length but the 75 is wider ended up being happier with it. for one it is better to place the rock in a wider tank and you have a little more of an option with it. ive seen some deep tanks and long ones set up. and like the placement of corals better in the deeper ones. thats just MO though.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Right on. The surface area is key. My 40 was called a 'breeder' because of it's footprint - more natural than other tanks. Go wide.

I wouldn't get a 'high' tank - lighting is more of a problem with those.

As far as who makes the best, I am not sure with acrylic. All acrylics have improved a lot since, say, 15-20 years ago. I remember staring at a 500 gallon aquarium a long time ago that was bulging out in the front from the water pressure. It was really scary.

One issue with acrylic is the top-rim. Their rims are much wider than glass ones. That can be an issue with adding hardware. Also that center-brace can be an issue with certain lighting setups and  cause shadows.

I like the Tenecor's too. You might want to check out Clarity Plus and Tru-Vu too. Those are the only others that come to mind.

For glass, I have always liked Oceanic Reef-Ready (drilled out) tanks. But they are expensive. And I wasn't to thrilled about having the return come out of the overflow either. I haven't seen one in a while, maybe they have changed that. But they are still nice.

If you look at glass, you can always drill one out yourself and save money - that does come with some risks too. No more warranty for instance. That will make you sweat when you are drilling it. Trust me.  ;D

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i reckon you should go with a glass tank, because they take way more abuse than acrylics. and having all that live rock that might fall is certainly something to think about. 8)

6. ETECH

ETECH Plankton

IMO can't go wrong with a tenecor very well made aquarium..

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

tenecors are very nice tanks but come with a nice price also. IMO i perfer glass acrylics do scratch a lot easier than glass aquariums and are 3 times the price. they both have their pros and cons you should check them out and find out what you would prefer more