Looking to buy salt and found this...

Discussion in 'Salt' started by jay, Sep 2, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

If you try to keep the salinity levels around 1.024 or maybe a bit lower then it should be OK.

Running a carbon pad on rain water is probably a good idea.  I'm lucky where I am and can just use tap water to replace evaporation.

John

2. Click Here!

3. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

In the past I tried using tap water, but we have super high silcates... but last month we got a water softener. I can tell the water is not nearly as hard as it was, but I am scared to use it for the tank. .. anyone know about this?

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[quote author=inwall75 link=board=Salt;num=1094150524;start=0#8 date=09/30/04 at 15:22:07]This can be easily adjusted using baking soda and washing soda prior to doing the waterchange. [/quote]

Great post Curt, too much trouble for me! ;) ;D

5. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

What do you mean by washing it?

6. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

About the salt preferances. I read that article about the test of salts that included breeding Urchin eggs in the test. That test made it clear that that Bio Essay salt was superior. Has anyone used it? I ordered this, Its on its way ups now. Anyone else read that article? Any opinions? I ordered... Forty Fathoms/Crystal Sea, 150 Gallon Bioassay Mixture. Just wandering if I wasted my money.

Jay

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

[quote author=shawnz28 link=board=Salt;num=1094150524;start=0#2 date=09/02/04 at 18:43:08]There are basically two older salt comparisons out on the net this one which is done by
    Craig Bingman which is trust worthy and then there is the infamous SR2 report which
    was sponsored by a some company....and of course a certain one tested best. Only problem
    with this one is it is getting old and the salt mixes have no doubt changed since
    then. I believe Inland Aquarium is working on a new test which has been hindered by
    a few obsticales but hopefully will be done in the near future.[/quote]

Inland Reef (outa business now) info can be found here:
    http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38052

SR2 was not sponsored by a salt company :)

I use OCeanic, as does most the better LFS around my area.  We have some pretty major SPS stores around, they're all on Oceanic.  I'll do some tests on various buckets and see what I come up with.  So far, it's been working out great for me.  Noticable difference in mixing time and in my corals health.  Better polyp expansion, getting more metalic in color, rather then a darker color.

8. Click Here!

9. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Gresham, I have been using Oceanic my self and I have not had any problems with it ;).................... John

10. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I'm also using Oceanic and have nothing but good to say about it!!! .......................[smiley=thumbs_up.gif]

Drew