Looking to buy 30 gallon tank.

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Alex321, Apr 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Alex321

Alex321 Plankton

Hello I want to buy and 30 gallon aquarium but I don't know what's a good brand, I am trying to find one from $50-80, I plan on making it saltwater unless it gets to cost me a lot of money to keep it running, Don't plan on doing coral in the tank just going for some colorful fishes.

Have a 10 gallon freshwater tank set up now so I know some stuff. :cheesy:

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

you could look on craigslist for people selling complete setups but will tell you this is an expensive hobby. Freshwater much cheaper.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

As mentioned, this is not a cheap hobby. You can find cheap complete setups on Craigslist (or even better a local reef club), but that is only the start of it.

5. Alex321

Alex321 Plankton

Okay I may just stick with freshwater for a bit then, and thanks for all the help!

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Didn't mean to scare you off; more just prepare you! The initial setup costs are one thing. From there you have basic maintenance costs (RO/DI filters for new mixing water and to top off, salt for water changes, testing equipment, food, bulbs for lights, etc). However you can certainly do a smaller tank on a budget. Spend more up front so you do it right, and you can spend less down the road on replacing equipment etc.

It is truly a rewarding, albeit frustrating at times, hobby :)

7. Alex321

Alex321 Plankton

What would I need that is different from freshwater, and would I have to use T5 lights if I did coral or just some 6500k LED lights?

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Well there are a million ways to setup a tank. You actually can run a tank with just a HOB power filter and maybe a powerhead. But a skimmer should be on the list as well. From there, you can add a sump (with or without a refugium), carbon reactor, controller and the list goes on and on. You can make it as simple or complex as you want it (as far as equipment and automation). If those LEDs are just 6500k whites, then you could likely only do easy soft corals with that. The right T5's and you can grow any coral you want.

10. Alex321

Alex321 Plankton

Would this powerhead and skimmer work or would I need something better?

AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115

Hydor Koralia Nano, 1-4 Controllable Pumps/Powerheads

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I am not familiar with the skimmer, so I would suggest reading the reviews (looks like there are plenty to read through!). For the powerheads, those would work, but a but overkill. Instead, go with Koralia Evolution. Either two of the nano 425's for softies & LPS or two of the regular 800's for SPS.

12. Alex321

Alex321 Plankton

Okay well I have looked over all the reviews and everything I found seems good, Thanks for all the help!