Looking To Build My First Large Aquarium.

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by JaysLittleOcean, Jul 7, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JaysLittleOcean

JaysLittleOcean Spaghetti Worm

Well let me start right off at saying I have never done this before and I could purchase an aquarium manufactured by a professional aquarium company but I don't want to do that. I want to build everything from scratch and have the pleasure (or misery if it bursts a seem) of saying that this was something I built from the ground up. So with that being said who on within the community has every built an aquarium? I have always preferred glass aquariums but in this case I am also considering acrylic. Any thoughts or suggestions. I'm looking to go 60 inches wide x 60 inches deep x 24 inches tall. That should give me roughly 374 gallons in the display alone.

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

This will be a build to watch.

JaysLittleOcean likes this.
  4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Never built a tank before. I have seen some pretty decent videos on youtube though. That is where i would start

5. JaysLittleOcean

Yeah I'm definitely a visual learner so I am going to start their as well. The only problem I have is choosing whether to go with Low Iron Glass or Acrylic.

6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

if you want long term trouble free, go with glass. Acrylic scratches easily. You cant avoid at minimum hairline scratches. There are even sevices that will polish acrylic. On the other hand you can shape acrylic into whatever you can imagine.

7. JaysLittleOcean

If I went with glass do you have any idea where I could find aquarium safe silicone in bulk?

8. Click Here!

9. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

Hey Jay, fun project. I agree I would go glass for my own tank especially with cube dimensions. I'd be tempted to actually build it out of acrylic due to ease, but my preference for tank ownership is glass. The only thing I do know is you want heavy duty silicone like rtv 100 series. It's been years since I built a tank, but rtv 108 was what I used. They might have better formulations out now. My tank was also quite small so my margin for error was much greater.

Have you given thought to how you are going to brace it? Given your dimensions I bet you can find a production tank and copy the design. My only other suggestion is plan out the entire system and not just the tank. Meaning, think through and design of the overflow, sump and stand at the same time. I would have everything planned out including equipment before I started. I would also consider your WC setup as well with such a large system. You may already know all this or planned on doing it, but wanted to share anyway. I learned the hard way with my first system and ended up redoing my entire subsystem 6 months later.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with and following along!

10. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Good advice ^. Whatever silicone you use, it has to be "aquarium safe ". Not sure if you can get it in the calk type tubes. I would also consider having the glass cut by a professional. They can ease and polish edges. Not sure if they use laser or fine abrasive jet to cut it.

11. JaysLittleOcean

Thanks for the advice. I was actually planning to design the whole system first and have the community review it and do all the redesigns as necessaary before I even order the first piece of glass or acrylic.

12. JaysLittleOcean

I will definitely have to reach out to some glass companies to see who has the best price. I would even think of attempting to cut the glass myself.