Looking for update on the Red Sea Max

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by HellFire4881, Oct 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HellFire4881

HellFire4881 Plankton

Hi Guys,

Im looking for a few opinions on the 'Red Sea Max'...
    Ive looked through the Sticky on the subject, but the last post was March 08 so thought id better get an update...

Now here is my situation...

I've had tropical tanks for years and have had good successes with each of them. Now i have always wanted to upgrade to a Marine Tank, but wasnt sure i could spare the time or expense... However i now see that the hobby has moved on over the past few years and the Marine world has become both cheaper and more automated...

So.... basically i am a newbie Marine'ist with a strong background in tropical.. but wants to play it safe with my first marine experience then move on in the future and build a larger DIY tank when i have built up my confidence...

I have some friends which own a great Aquarium/Fish shop in cardiff, now they said that because im a mate they would let me have the Red Sea Max 34Gallon, at cost... So i could get the tank,stand & starter Kit for £500...

Now my question to you is.... Is this a good tank for the price...???

I have heard alot of people say that it is a good tank, but a little pricey..
    I appear to have cut down the price due to my Awesome mates...

Whatcha think? Whats the gossip, pro & cons... whats the Skinny???;D

2. Click Here!

3. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

the RSM is a great tank, arguably the best "nano" tank on the market I'm not sure what the conversion of your currency is to US but the tank here is about $800 for the tank/stand combo

The JBJ 28HQI is a really good buy also and about $300 less in the US with HQI lighting instead of T5

4. plandy

plandy Astrea Snail

It's a pretty well designed system with just about everything one could want for his/her first reef system. If you are certain about staying with this for at least several years before the "bigger tank" bug bites you then go for it. Of course all this assumes that cost is no object to you ;D

However, I should mention that for about same amount of money you could probably cobble together a much better system if you are willing to put the time in to research and build it.

5. HellFire4881

HellFire4881 Plankton

Whats the capacity of the RSM is it comparible to the MAX's 34gallon? or it a smaller nano tank?

6. HellFire4881

HellFire4881 Plankton

I think i will keep the MAX for a year or two if i got it.... Before i got a larger tank...
    and i can get the MAX 34Gallon.. for £500 pounds, for stand, tank and starter kit...

is that a reasonable price for the Red Sea Max?

7. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

RSM is just abbreviated for Red Sea Max sorry for the confusion

8. Click Here!

9. HellFire4881

HellFire4881 Plankton

Oops, dont i feel like a muppet.. lol:p

thanks for the advice buddy?

you heard much press about the new RSM 130 D?

10. plandy

plandy Astrea Snail

For a system like the MAX that's about the going price these days. But if you ask me is it reasonable I'd have to say no because for the money you can have something bigger and better but you'd have to put it all together yourself.

On the other hand for simple expediency, hassle of collecting the parts, and time savings with money not an object then yes it could be considered reasonable.

It's a matter of perspective which has to be analyzed from different point of views depending on what's YOUR priority :)

11. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

130d looks like a euro only item, can't find anything about it for US distribution but I didn't look real hard either, personally if I were setting up another tank under 40g I'd buy from nanotuners.com but I dont know if they do over seas shipments

They have some really sweet nano's

12. steveh

steveh 3reef Sponsor

I can probably help a little with info on the M130D (Max 130 D): This is to be available world-wide and is an upgraded version of the original Max. There are over a dozen changes, with some having been incorporated already on later versions of the "Original" Max. Additional changes include a greatly improved protein skimmer, with a really neat neck adjustment feature to control foam production, a great new surface skimmer/overflow box (this is upgradable for the original and helps surface skimming and water flow through the filter), deeper trim, water level window in the filter, full 3 stage hood opening, new cabinet design and a few others. With regards to the price you got quoted- I'd say it's very good, and actually when you look at the MAX spec properly, you will be hard pushed to get anything built for the same money. Try starting with 100watts of built in lighting & timer (no ugly luminaires), a turbo injected protein skimmer, twin circ pumps, heater etc and a proper cabinet instead of a cheap knock-down stand. My (biased) advice: Get the Max at that price and get an upgraded surfqace skimmer when they become available (around £20, and available in the UK approx 6 weeks). Then there's always the brand new Max 250 if you want a bigger toy! Check out www.redseamax.com over the next few days- the new products will soon be uploaded.