Looking for Shelf Rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Reefy, May 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefy

Reefy Plankton

Anyone know where to get shelf rock these days? Tonga was the supplier and we all know what happened there....

Anyone buy from these guys: www.deepwaterrock.com ?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

4. Reefy

Reefy Plankton

5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I found a guy breaking down his tank and selling on craigslist. I picked up 2 nice pieces of shelf along with a bunch of other rock he had - then I bleached it all.

6. Reefy

Reefy Plankton

Nice find!.....I'm not having any luck locally which is why I am on the hunt. None of the bigger name-brand rock suppliers like Marco or Eco Rox have it either from what I can see.

7. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Actually, not to hijack or misdirect your thread, but what happened with tonga?

8. Click Here!

9. Reefy

Reefy Plankton

Didn't they shut down exporting of rock?

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Eco Rox (BRS) does have a shelf style. My entire 40 rockwork is comprised of it. But, it is very hard to get. I got lucky. It is Fiji too, so much more attractive than Tonga (of course I guess that would be personal opinion). And I would go with BRS over Marco any day ;) Customer service wins in my book ;)
    Here is the link to it. You can keep checking to see when they get their next shipment in:
    Bulk Reef Supply - Bulk Reef Supply

11. Reefy

Reefy Plankton

Thanks...I heard that the supply of Dry Fiji rock is getting cut off as well. Judging by the non-existant supply of it on BRS and Marco makes me think it's true...

Looks like the only readily availble dry rock you will see is the heavy limestone stuff out of FL... and alas I see no shelf rock :(

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I realize it isn't quite the same, but I was looking for shelf stuff too. The pieces of shelf I could find local were few and far between and $8 a pound. I was waiting for BRS, but they said they are out indefinitely.

I went to Lace rock from Utah. Plenty of people use it, and it isn't real thick. It makes nice sheves without taking a lot of vertical space. Tons of people use it in their reef tanks.

Here is what I did with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those pieces are thin, just curved so they look thick.