looking for a new LED light for my standard 29g

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by DustinB32, Mar 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DustinB32

DustinB32 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Its been a while since I've been to the site. Feels good to be back. Anyway... I'm looking to take the LED plunge on my 29g standard tank. Just tired of the power compacts. Just having a little ecoxotic stunner makes the tank look that much better so I'm figuring LED's are the way to go. I was gonna go with an AI Vega but I just cant bring myself to spend almost $600 for the fixture and controller. I found 2 units that I was interested in. The reefbreeders photon 16 and AJM IT2040 unit. the units look identical and are just about the same price. I really cant find that many reviews on the AJM unit but seems like quite of few people on here like the reefbreeder lights. And Also what optics would be best. I only plan to have soft coral and some LPS.

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Those 2 fixtures are the same exact fixture. They are both made by a company called "evergrow". Reefbreeders and other companies purchase these fixtures from the chinese manufacturer and put their name on them. I have the IT2080 which would be reefbreeder's photon 32 and I love it. I would go with the 16 if I were you.

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

90 degree optics would be fine. 60 degree would be overkill and running with no optics is about the same as using 120 degree optics.

5. DustinB32

DustinB32 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

6. ihigh

ihigh Astrea Snail

I had a reefbreeders before switching to the ai sols and soon to be vega, but my advice is that you probably should get at minimal 90 degree optics on them. If you're interested, take a peek on some of the classified sections on this or national forums and you can find an ai sol/controller for probably 300. Just another option for you.