Looking for a mentor.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by RidinBurton, Nov 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RidinBurton

RidinBurton Plankton

This is my first post, however I have been observing this forum for some time now. You guys really know you stuff and I have learned alot already but I have a few questions to ask before diving into the saltwater game.
    I have had freshwater fish for about 4 years, but now I am out of college, have a little more free time and looking to start a saltwater tank. I will be using a 29 gallon aquarium. Below is a list of items I have ready to go on the tank. I do not currently have room for a sump so everything will be hanging on the tank.
    I plan on having 3-4 fish, clean up crew, and alot of corals.
    Currently own:
    29 Gallon aquarium
    -Aqua C Remora HOB protein skimmer with maxijet 1200 pump
    -4 Bulb t5HO ballast with 2day lights and 2 acintic bulbs
    -AquaClear 110 HOB filter (thinking of using it as refugium?)
    -Heater
    -Dead Rock
    -wp-25
    -JBJ auto top off
    Still need:
    -RODI unit (any recomendations)? Would prefer a portable one that I can keep under the sink in my bathroom (I have seen ones that plug right into your sink line for easy use)
    -Live Rock
    -Sand (which kind of sand should I get (will be getting non live sand as the rocks will seed the sand)
    -Salt (where can I buy bulk salt for cheap? (I remember hearing a place that sells a box with 4 bags)
    -Testing supplies so I can monitor the tank
    Final questions/thoughts I missed earlier: I still have a few more questions before I set this bad boy up.
    -Do I use the same media as I would use in a freshwater tank in my aquaclear?
    -At what point in the process should I turn on my protein skimmer? (Day 1?)
    I would really like to get everything set up soon so I can begin the painful process of waiting a month or more before adding fish. Thanks in advance for the advice!
    Looking for a mentor: If an experienced member from the forum would be nice enough to take me under their wing and help me through the process I would be very grateful. The closest LFS is about an hour away which makes it hard to find someone to turn to in case of emergencies. If you would like to take on the task of helping me throughout this journey please PM me. Would be nice to have someone to text/email about questions/concerns as they come up.[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to 3reef.

For the filter media for the HOB I would use sponge/foam and a smaller bag of Chemipure Elite.
    When to turn on the skimmer is always up for debate, there is not a right or wrong way. To promote the development of the biological filter there has to be something for the bacteria to feed on, the skimmer might remove a portion of that, therefore many hobbyist start the skimmer towards the end of the cycle. I have done it both ways and it made no difference.

I have a feeling you'll have more mentors than you know what to do with.

4. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

First of all, welcome to 3reef!

Now to answer your questions:

I'm not really sure about portable RO/DI units, but I love my Spectrapure 90gpd unit. It's not too large, so I could imagine that it would fit under a sink.

For sand, I wouldn't get anything too fine because you have a wp25, which would cause a constant sand storm, and I wouldn't use crushed coral because of the algae that can grow between it, so something in the middle of those two sizes. I know a lot of people use CaribSea Fiji Pink and like it a lot, but you said you didn't want to use live sand. One bag of it should be able to cover the bottom of the tank for a shallow sand bed. No sand is also an option. My tank is going to be barebottom for easy cleaning and to help with my plan for a minimalist look.

For salt, you can buy Reef Crystals in a box for 200 gallons of water for about $50-60. Here's a site that has it for $48 on sale SALT

I agree with Corailline on the HOB filter.

I hear that you should leave the skimmer off until the end of the cycle to let beneficial bacteria grow.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :)

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

6. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

RO/DI: I got mine the Bulk Reef Supply 4-Stage Value when it was on sale for $116 a few weeks ago, like it so far. Getting 0 TDS. I believe top of the line is Spectrapure. As long as you don't have chloramines in your water, it should work great. If you do, you will need to get a more expensive one to remove those. I connect mine to my bathroom sink and fill up my containers in the tub, and then store it in the kitchen when not in use. It's definitely compact, but it works.

Sand: If you buy it dry, you have to rinse it. I'm way too lazy to do that, so I always buy it live. I purchased mine from Amazon for the free shipping and the live was the same price as the dry.

7. RidinBurton

RidinBurton Plankton

Wow guys thanks for all of the awesome responses! I will be buying an RODI unit this week along with salt.

-In terms of sand I am open to buying live sand, any sales going on? Keep in mind I am using a wp25 and don't want a sandstorm ha. I will have corals and fish, to include a goby.

-Final question, any recommendations on a test kit which will help me monitor the tank and become aware when it is cycled.

8. Click Here!

9. Camkha1234

I've heard some good things abut this sand.

I always used Red Sea when I tested and everything seemed accurate.

10. RidinBurton

RidinBurton Plankton

Where do I find bags of Chemipure Elite?

11. Camkha1234

12. RidinBurton

RidinBurton Plankton