looking for a little support

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by zjpeter, Apr 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

i was a whopping 285 a couple years back. I cut soda and pizza (and ran about a 1200 calorie diet not all that pro) But with my exercise bike i dropped 50 pounds in 3 months and now I sit at are 250 but the more i work out the heavier I get. I am a martial arts instructor so that keeps me toned and the ground figfhting replaces any lifting i would do. I suggest making a hobby out of a physical activity you can participate in year round. And dont eat pizza, i would be 235 without pizza easy.

2. Click Here!

3. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

The human body makes sugar from every food you put into it. Thats how our cells are fed. The issue with artificial sweeteners is a myth as far as making one crave more sweets.
    Also, meat of any type is pretty much irrelevant anymore. That includes red meat (other than ground beef). Pork, Chicken, Fish, etc. are all good for you. Try and get a nice serving at least at Lunch & Dinner: 3 - 4oz serving is about the size of a deck of playing cards.

You're off to a good start, but if I may, consider:

No concentrated sweets (sugars, soda, cookies, cake, etc.)
    No fried foods (beans, chicken, potatoes, NOTHING!)
    No added salt (salt makes you retain fluid & you need very little)
    Activity (like you have posted above, steady, daily )
    Water all through the day (flushes your system, keeps you hydrated)
    Too much coffee/caffeine can keep you from resting soundly (1c/day)
    MultiVitamin (1) without iron (for men)

To say "I'm gonna eat the same thing my girl eats...." is like saying you're gonna workout like her too. Eat for you. Only you know when you are truly full. FULL not stuffed!!

3 meals a day including breakfast
    Vegetables or fruit at every meal
    Snacks if hungry between meals (healthy as listed above)

At 25yrs old, your metabolism is still up there and you should be good to go. The more lean body mass, the more fat you can burn through aerobic exercise (Aerobic exercise at 70% of your maximum heartrate). AND, you really don't look that bad (honestly). Stop kicking yourself. This isn't easy for absolutely anyone.

Try and get out in the day...Go slow & try and enjoy!!

PM me if you want.

4. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Totally agree with this. My girlfriend is trying to knock off about 10 pounds but loves sugar. I told her to keep using sugar just not as much. Stay away from artificial sweeteners.

5. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

I wish you the best of luck...I think you will find that if you havent worked out much in the past you will hit the 210 mark a lot faster than Aug just by changing your habbits, the first 20 are going to melt off of you fast! Its sticking with it and getting the next 20 off that you will need support! If there is anything I can do to help you let me know :) My wife is a Registered Dietician with her Masters from Florida State University...I used to be a body builder...so u can trust me.;D CONGRATS on your life changing decision!

6. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

By no beans, they are saying no fried beans...but kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans etc. are ALL VERY good for you and are rich in fiber and protein, so you can eat these... and instead of 3 meals a day your body actually needs more like 5-6 meals a day..just portion it out...if you are working out, your body needs to be fed every 2-3hrs to maintain itself. Remember Protein Protein Protein...instead of looking at fish in an aquarium..look at it on your plate! lol

7. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

dude you dont look that bad to be honest (still do this though) i am 6 feet tall and weigh 270 lbs. i have a lot more muscle than fat, but i look like you do (physically). the best thing to do is run, biking, and swimming is the best way to lose weight.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I'd agree. And add, if you're eating canned beans, rinse them first. Just to wash out some of that sodium.

10. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

alright, here's my proposed "diet"

the easiest thing, i believe, is to kick up my cereal intake. i LOVE Basic 4 and i picked up some Fiber One. it's a good source of grains and fiber and stuff and it's something i really like. the goal is to use this as my "mini-meals" or snacks in between.

i threw out my last can of Fresca and forbid my wife from bringing any more into the house. i vow, on my honor, to keep my soda consumption to 2-3 diet sodas a week. the simple act of getting it out of the house ensure that i won't just grab a can and drink it out of convenience. so what WILL i drink? i'm a huge fan of ice tea and i'll have to kick up my brewing it if i don't have any soda to drink. also, i always run around with a nalgene bottle so drinking enough water shouldn't be too much of an issue.

luckily, i'm a poor grad student so we don't eat out too much. I do cook quite a bit myself so it should be fairly easy to stick to grilling veggies and chicken and the like. if i can just convince my wife to not make a pizza twice a week i think i'll be right on track.

for lunches i'm planning on trying to stick to turkey sandwiches (avocados, tomatoes, red peppers and a little miracle whip) with corn chips (no salt added) and homemade salsa or grilled chicken with rice and mushrooms (yummy)

the biggest thing is setting out a permanent grocery list or maybe even a permanent "no-no" list. routine may be boring but it establishes a habit. that being said, the 2nd of every month is Date Night for me and my wife and i will eat whatever i dang well please.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

This thread is making me hungry :D

12. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

make it something greasy and fatty and think of me...