looking for a little support

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by zjpeter, Apr 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

That's just a nice way of saying that fat takes up a lot more space, pound for pound. :laughings

Obese people can be strong too. They can exercise, get stronger, and still be obese.

I am a proponent of BMI. I get the whole muscle weighs more/BMI isn't accurate rubbish. That argument only applies if you can see your six pack or are a competition level lifter. In other words, someone who obviously doesn't need to lose fat in the first place. BMI is very relevant and therefore weight is as well.

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well, it means that you can lose a pound and put on a pound of muscle, see no difference on the scale, but see a difference in the waistline or other raw "roundness" measurement.

In particular, he says he can fit in old pants, which I assume are smaller, and thus he's likely to be converting from fat to muscle.

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Sorry to have chimed in on this so late Joe.

I've noticed as I get older, my metabolism has dropped and I can't eat like i used to.

My noticeable metabolism drop off was when I turned 30.

I can say I eat well, mostly because my fiance is an awesome cook, and I like to cook good stuff as well, but my couple extra LB's ( 5 or so) of belly are something I am trying to get rid of.

I have been very active and have dropped a couple LB's, but I then started to gain a little back. I'm certain the little weight, 2 lbs, I have gained since dropping 5 lbs back is muscle.

I will be starting to play tennis again soon, and I am doing more waterskiing and wakeboarding too now, so all these activities will help. Well, maybe not the sitting in the boat and having a few beers after my skiing, but that is something i can live with.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I read old pants as 'same old pants' as in the same size... I read that wrong.

just side info - fat cells do not convert to muscle. That's just something coaches like to say. you can add and lose muscle cells. but fat cells pretty much always stick around. You can add them, but you can't really lose them. Only shrink them... (and is why you can OD over time on fat soluble vitamins/minerals but not water soluble ones (including things like lead)). The body can store a lot of stuff in fat because of this trait.

Anyway... losing a pound of fat and gaining a pound of muscle is not a 1:1 ratio when losing weight. It follows a bell curve.

I do, 100%, agree that the mirror is a better judge than the scale. If you're fitting into smaller pants, that is plain positive.

Alot of guys tend to lose weight from regions at a time, with the gut last. Face, feet, hands are often first. Followed by arms, legs and then shoulders. Followed by back/chest and the gut is last. Typically. Not always.

So seeing a thinner face is a sign of progress. To my mind, that should be a goal achieved and looked at as such. Move to the next goal ya know. Congratulations, not self doubt. Good work :)

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

So once a fat cell is added it sticks around for ever? damn it :( First time I've head that, thanks.

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Yep! Unfortunately.

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

aRg Ignorance is truly bliss :)

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Which is why I'm pretending that I didn't read your last post on this thread :lol:

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Semantics aside, if fat cells shrink, and muscle cells either multiply or simply get bigger, muscle still weighs more than fat.

12. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

this is funny. each summer me and 8 of my old college buddies run up to my summer home for a week. we pretty much ski, wakeboard and tube around the clock. despite eating everything in sight, we all come home a few pounds lighter.

i kinda wish i wasn't so cheap so i would go join a Y. i used to be a big swimmer and i miss it sometimes.