looking for a little support

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by zjpeter, Apr 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

http://www.3reef.com/forums/blogs/zjpeter/

you can cheer me on here or on the blog.

i've struggled with my weight ever since high school (working at Wendy's for three years didn't help much). i'm a pretty jocular fellow and make light of it most of the time but ever since i married a runner with a metabolism of a hummingbird, i'm becoming more and more displeased with the shape i'm in (cosmetically and fitness-wise).

these will be the governing rules i strive to adhere too:

LAWS OF SLIMITUDE:
    1- eat the same portion of food my wife eats

2- for every hour of video games i will workout one hour (lift, run, bike, walk)

3- i will post weekly achievements and progress here so you can keep me accountable

therefore, i vow to you and all of 3Reef that i will stop being such fatty and hit the 210 mark by august 13.

i currently weigh a soft 235lbs

4 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Hey sounds like a good plan to me, I should do the same to keep in shape. Good luck to you.

4. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

You certainly have my support. I am more of a .... hmmm - well let's just say that I am not much of a hummingbird either :)

Also: drink as much water as you can. and eat a lot of Fiber :)
    i SWEAR by that Fiber One cereal (i eat the "classic plain one") and their other products in the event that you are not a big veggie eater. At the least it kicks your innards into higher gear while you work on the outer parts :)

Best wishes and friendship regardless of whether you are a hummingbird or....something different!

elizabeth

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Good luck!! You can do it!! Just don't be too hard on yourself - you need to be your biggest fan.

P.S. Don't eat too little, as that will actually cause your metabolism to slow down. Make sure to get enough calories.

6. divott

divott Giant Squid

youre gonna do this peter. good for you. dropping that much weight in that amount of time should be fairly easy. and with that regimen youve got scheduled, you wil ldo it. ive got faith in you. best of luck, and look forward to updates. will there be pics too? :)

guy

7. Jim522

Jim522 Purple Spiny Lobster

Good luck, man! I could definitly lose a lb or two myself. Well, maybe 10 or 15 lol. I've been 185 since highschool. Over the past couple of years, getting comfortable around the wife, having the kids, I've definitly been packing on the weight. I'm up to about 220 now. Yikes!!! Less beer and more jogs I guess.
    Again, good luck.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Congrats on getting fit but you will need to eat about 20% more than your wife to be successful in the long run. I know been there done that. I started at the spot your are at and lost 55 lbs in 11 months. Stay with and enjoy the process, let your clothing not the scale be your guide. Find activities you enjoy and stick with them. Good luck.

10. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

this is good advice - there are lots of good calorie needs calculators and all of that online. I also recommend FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal as an excellent way to track what you eat and how much each day.

Make you you check your BMI and calorie intake needs in order to lose a healthy amount of weight at a healthy rate.

Just like your tank - go SLOW at first - be kind to yourself and your body - it won't do you any good to totally shock your systems either. A gradual shift towards consistent good habits will get you far!

11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I thought Luna was the pic police!!! :D

I really support your cause, my friend!! Stay true and honest to yourself. You know you can do this! All you needed was the determination and BAM!!! There you have it as well! Very glad to see you motivated.

I agree with 2in10. Do not try to eat what your wife eats, specially if her metabolism is so different. Not a good idea.

Good luck, and I'll check in to see your progress!

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I dropped 45 pounds several years ago and have been able to maintain.

Very doable. Not easy. At first. But it got 'routine' for me. The best advise I can give is not to wrongly think of a "diet" as a temporary exercise in self-control but in a long-term life change.

Once I switched to eating a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, besides being the constant ridicule of fat coworkers for being "a rabbit" (even though I eat a lot of meat), I have found that, eventually, the salty fast-food fare is kind of disgusting to me (except Taco Bell... I love me some tacos and burritos).

Healthy snacks I eat to keep me from snacking on chips include

• cheese stick with fresh apple
    • cheese stick with cut up cauliflower
    • nuts
    • cottage cheese and fresh fruit
    • South Beach Protein bars (just the bars, not the south beach diet)
    • And I make a smoothie for breakfast every morning that consists of frozen fruit, protein powder, yogurt (not sweetened), cinnamon (this spice helps regulate the sugars in the fruit (think diabetes here)), filled with water, blend.
    Besides that I eat my normal meals. But I snack very often on the above.

Good luck! It can be life changing to get so much energy back ;D

EDIT: eating several small meals (like the apple/cheese stick above as a "meal") over a few larger meals a day has been shown to increase metabolism. If you're hungry eat! Just eat mother nature herself.