looking for a light for a reef tank

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Pariah, Sep 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pariah

Pariah Plankton

I have had my tank for a little over a month and I want to eventually have corals. I have no idea what kind of light I will need for that. There are so many different kind of lights I am a little over whelmed. I have a 46 gallon tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

What lighting do you have now?

What is your budget for lighting?

4. Pariah

Pariah Plankton

It is just one long florescent looking light it came with the setup it doesn't say what it is. I am not sure what my budget is yet, I am trying to figure out what I need and the range of what it will cost before I need it so I can save up for it. I don't really know enough about what I need to decide on a budget for it. If that makes any sense :/

5. Corailline

Then I would start window shopping at MarineDepot.com to get an idea.

Middle of the road money wise that is going to do a good job of growing corals is going to be a T5HO fixture. The type/brand of bulbs used make a big difference as well.

Next up will be your MH fixtures, or combinations of T5 and MH. Both types of lighting do produce heat. Metal halide much more than T5. Changing/replacing bulbs should be any were from 6 to 9 months for both types IMO. Both types use more energy than LED.

LED DIY are moderately priced all the way to pretty darn expensive for some slick looking and well preforming fixtures/types. Energy use is diminished and diode life is MUCH longer than the other two types of lighting.

There is always and will always be a heated discussion over which type is best. You just need to narrow it down based on what you can afford and what you will eventually keep.

For some simple soft tanks with easier stony corals even PC do a good job, but they do have their limitations.

6. Pariah

Pariah Plankton

7. Corailline

Sorry I know nothing more than the basics of LED.
    Just google for reviews using the fixture type, there are no reviews on that distributors page. Something tells me you can get a better light for the money.

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

10. Pariah

Pariah Plankton

Good to know that's exactly what I need I was wondering why I couldn't find any reviews...

11. Pariah

Pariah Plankton

I need to get better at DIYing

12. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral