Looking for a cheap nano protein skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by TheSurgeonSween, Jan 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheSurgeonSween

TheSurgeonSween Fire Shrimp

Hi, I was thinking about getting a protein skimmer for a 28g nano cube. I would prefer to have a skimmer under $60 and one that can be put in the back of the tank. I was thinking of the JBJ skimmer that is made for my tank.

Any more suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

4. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

I would suggest NOT skimping on the skimmer.

It is one of the most important pieces of equipment you can get for your tank.

I do not have much experience with what skimmers are best for 29G cubes - there are many 28/29 Gallon cube owners on this forum. I am sure someone else will tell you to get the best skimmer you can afford as many of the people that try to cut corners with their first skimmer only end up buying another one wishing they had never gone cheap in the first place.

5. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

you could get the 29 gallon oceanic biocube skimmer, but it makes lots of noise so you'd have to find a way to make it quiet

6. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Tell you what - that skimmer actually looks pretty good!!
    Especially for 60 bux!!

I was considering this skimmer when looking for a skimmer for my 30 gallon cube but because I have a sump and will be keeping SPS corals - I went with the way oversized NWB-110 From Reef Octo - but that was $180 and would never fit in your rear chamber.

But the AquaticLife Skimmer looks like a good option!!!

7. TheSurgeonSween

I heard the biocube skimmer doesn't work well.

8. Click Here!

9. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

If that AquaticLife skimmer fits- it will be 10X better than the Biocube skimmer as the BC skimmer is only airstone-driven while the AquaticLife is impeller pump driven = more/better filtration.

10. TheSurgeonSween

Alright ill measure today. If it doesn't fit is there a cheap way to make it work for my tank?

11. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

The aquaticlife skimmer will not fit the jbj28,the 2 best options are aqua c remora nano or the tunze 9002 model.I made the mistake of buying the aquaticlife and could not get it to fit,so i put it in a 15 gallon i have,it's a great little skimmer,but won't fit your jbj.

Edit-i forgot to mention that i also have the stock jbj skimmer and you can save your money on that one as well,it fits perfect,but very poor preformance.

12. Steve Goldsmith

Steve Goldsmith Fire Shrimp

IMO, you get what you pay for. (AquaLife sounds like an exception). If it's cheap, it probably is cheap. A good recommendation from me is a Tunze 9002 skimmer. If it fits.