Looking at shools & colleges for marine biology. I need some ideas..

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Seano Hermano, Jul 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Agreed. Unfortunately. Perception is everything.

I believe the words you are looking for are "Gig 'em"

:p:p;D;D

2. Click Here!

3. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

I'm sorry but i am not familiar with that term. :)

4. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I have a degree in Marine Biology from the University of Miami (FL). Awesome school and a great education. I had a lot of opportunity to work in labs, as a research diver, etc. All while in school. also prepared me for an overall career in the business world. i decided not to go after the phd, and just moved into business. the analytical skills I learned in science transported well to database design and build. Now I sell hospital information systems....and the marine bio degree is a great talking point at business dinners for sure.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

hey everyone. I'm back. Again. haha

Does SCRIPPS Institute of Marine Biology Operate separately from UC San Diego? I know it is part of UCSD. But how would things go? I'm confused about this. lol

6. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

7. Seano Hermano

haha. Thanks. It is part of UCSD. I found out they are part of UC just by taking a look at their web address.::) I'm smart.
    scripps.ucsd.edu.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Pretty old thread now. Just thought I would add some things...

I found 2 organizations for studying abroad & international students for full degrees.

Australia Education Connection has a better website, so I have been mainly looking a their site.

My Study Australia: Study in Australia, New Zealand, - providing semester and year abroad, internship, summer, and degree programs abroad

It appears that the international student tuition to James Cook university is $38,000 per yr. Through AEC, it's down to about $20,000. What a big difference in cost. I know that cost of tuition should not be a big deciding factor, but this makes it much more likely a possibility. There are also quite a few other schools along the eastern coast of Australia that are available through, AEC...even some that aren't for marine bio.

The other one is one that my sister told me about. It's the same idea. It's called Austra Learn.

AustraLearn: Study in Australia, New Zealand, and the South Pacific

I just thought I would share this information to anyone else looking to go to school for a marine biology. Thanks.

10. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

I appear to be very late to this thread and I am not sure how much you would like to study abroad or go out of state, but as a graduate of ohio university I must say it was the best decision I ever made to go there. However I went for engineering and they have a pretty good engineering school. I am not sure how good the marine biology is. If you have already ruled state schools out don't worry about this post. If you have any questions about OU as just a school feel free to let me know.

11. TruespeedEM1

TruespeedEM1 Skunk Shrimp

I second UNCW...I go there and we have an excellent Marine Biology program, all the way to Phd

12. Seano Hermano

Thanks for your interest in this. I have not completely ruled out state school, but I am pretty sure this is what I want to do. The JCU campus of Townville is right on the coast by the Great Barrier Reef, making for the ideal location for a marine biology major. :)

I'd like to go into a career having something to do with aquatic life in and around ocean trenches or conservation of coral reefs.