Looking at shools & colleges for marine biology. I need some ideas..

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Seano Hermano, Jul 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Looking into marine biology as a possible career path & would like to know of some colleges that offer degrees to help me with this.

I live in OH, but I figure I will most likely have to go to the coast.

In OH are BGSU & OU.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. vinny147

vinny147 Bristle Worm

UNC Wilmington
    Any school in Florida haha

4. Seano Hermano

haha. I think there are a few in Maine to.

5. BayNights

BayNights Astrea Snail

When I was looking, I checked out Eckerd college in FL, Kalamazoo in MI and UC - Santa Cruz. I went to Santa Cruz, which has a very good Sciences program and a decent Marine Bio program... UC San Diego is supposedly really good too. Before you make the jump, make sure you do some volunteer work at a public aquarium and get a feeling for what life after college will entail!

6. Seano Hermano

That would be neat. Though the closest aquarium to me would be the Columbus Zoo & Aquarium, two hours away..maybe a summer job for next year? Idk.

7. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

CSU Monterry bay, UCLA, UCSD, UCSC. Thats all I know for California school thats really good in biology. All 4 school is really close to the beach. UCLA and UCSD is hard to get into unless you have a really good GPA, UCLA is California's 3rd hardest university and UCSD is the 4th.

Edit:
    Oh and also UC Davis is has one of top Vet courses and has the largest vet hospital in Ca. Uhm Im not sure if they do Marine Biology, but since they are good with animals/biology maybe they will have marine bio?
    but then again 2nd thought, they are nowhere close to beach so probably not lol.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

Im working on my scuba diving certificate, and hoping to work for Monterry bay Aquarium as a Diver lol, maybe you could do that too if your up for that at your local aquarium

10. Seano Hermano

Scuba diving has always been a fascination of mine, but I've never been. I'd like to. I know Columbus has a certified diving school.

It's "local" rather than, local. lol. I use the word loosely. I can't drive 4hrs round trip every day for a job. That certainty would not be economical. Maybe if I stayed with the Gma over the summer? She lives in Col.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  11. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

Come on down Seanski!

12. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I was considering the same career path. I'm currently doing my Bachelors in Management but Marine bio is my true interest. There are no schools in Trinidad offering it but there are one or two in some of the other Caribbean islands.
    However, I may be migrating to Britain next yr so I was searching for a school around Manchester or Maccelsfield (spelling) where I could do Marine bio. I highly doubt I'll be able to get a school offering a Marine Bio degree there but I still have my hopes up.
    I know there are a few members here who live in GB so I was also wondering if anyone knew of any schools offering Marine Bio up there.