Lookin back, Where did you start???

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Birchell, Feb 21, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

I was looking through my old pics, and found my first saltwater tank(my nano) when I first got it going. Let see how everyone started. Take a trip down memory lane, :) .

Specs:
    4 lbs of live rock, lol, a rock
    30 lbs of crushed coral/black sand
    75 watt heater
    small hob filter(dont remember the size)
    Single 18 watt plant light
    FW background, hehe
    1 azure damsel ( first fish, and still have him!! )

This is like a week into my first SW tank!! Hard to belive that little coralline cover tank stared like this. It makes me have alot more hope for my 100g.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I don't have any pictures because they didn't have camera's back then!!! Hahahha...joking!
    However, obviously when I first got started in the saltwater hobby, the undergravel filter was the norm, and their was no such thing as live sand or live rock and corals in a closed system was unheard of!!!
    I use to spend $20.00 to $50.00 on a piece of dead, bleached corla to place in my tank so basically my tank looked like a coral graveyard. I had a nice Miniatus Grouper and a beautiful Queen Angel that I remember spending $50.00 on. Needless to say they all parrished roughly a few months later, i believe due to ich.
    I had bought a Snowflake Moray, placed it in my tank and the next morning, I found it dead on the floor 'cause it jumped out!
    Protein skimmers were a non existent commodity and fluorescent lights were it. Actually I had a Skilter(combination hang on filter/skimmer) what a joke that piece of garbage was! We basically were running death traps for marine life!
    I am so glad that I took a ride back to memory lane...Wish I never knew where it was! But I would like to know where 5:00 somewhere or Margaritaville is!!! hahahaha
    Thank goodness present street/future drive is where I live now!!!!!!

4. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I would have to look in my old picture album (we didnt have digi cams back then). But i started with a 120gal with CC substrate and huge coral skeletons for decorations. Had a wet/Dry built in the back of the tank all DIY, it was actually pretty cool back then. 4 NO fluorescents also. Reefs were just starting, one of the guys that got me started had a "reef" with about 5 corals and live rock and real sand with a skimmer in the sump and all. I drooled everytime i would go to his place. Reef's were rare in my neck of the woods. I had tangs, lions, triggers and other fish. Until i lost about $1000 worth of fish cause my water got contaminated with something (i used well water), didnt know about RO/DI back then. Man those were the days.

Marc.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Well, I don't really remember much but from what I heard, my mommy met my daddy and they fell in love and got married. Shortly afterwards, they....oh.....you mean how I got started in the hobby....never mind :)

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Wait Amcarrig continue with the thing about after your mommy met your daddy and they got married...shortly after that what??? I don't know...You mean the stork didn't bring us like in Dumbo!!!!!? But there is a Santa Claus and Easter Bunny right, and what about cupid and the arrow thing!?
    hahahaha-now I have to research this?

7. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

:lol: , you guys are so funny!! I guess this is the right time to start in the reef world. It hasnt been to hard for me. In some ways its been easier than FW. But man ive learned alot!!

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool thread.

My first salt tank started back in 1991. Back when my rent was $400. ;D

Here is a pic, it was a 40 breeder:
    [​IMG]

That pic cracks me up because of my ghetto duck tape job. lol.

More info here.

10. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

LOL, did you have heat problems with the light so close?? And I know they had color pics in 91 Matt :lol: .

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Not too bad as I recall. Chicago winters helped, summers were a different story.

I think I had ghetto styrofoam blocks in that pic that held it up.

That was an early aquarium halide fixture with one of those giant 6500k halide bulbs and a pair of actinic fluorescents.

I think the color camera came out in 1992. :)

12. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

:lol: Now I remember!! Ive always liked the shape of the 40g breeder, almost a cube.