look heare....starving yellow tang please help....

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by elweshomayor, Aug 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

look here....starving yellow tang please help....

ok so here is the problem, a month ago i went to a trip to mexico and left my fish to my mom.

when i came back, i found green algie all over my tank and my yellow tang starving. Is not that my mom didnt gave him food, is just that he refused to eat it.
    ( we gaved them emerald, which is frozen food)

i solved the algie problem...(i think) but my tang is emaciated. He is so skinny.

i bought a package with squares of frozen brine shrimp, and he devours it, he started to eat a lot now. ( its been 3 days since i got home)
    but my question is, should i give him more food, since he is so skinny?

since im doing a water change tomorrow i gave him a square and a half today. half a square in the morning half a square in the afternoon and half a square at night.
    ( i know thats way too much for a normal feeding since its supposed to be one half a day not 3) but every time i gaved him, he would eat like there is no tomorrow and it only made me want to give him more.

another question is, how much food should i put into the tank so my fish gets better soon?? take in mind that i have a pair of false percula clowns on the tank as well, so i dont want to over do it for them.

the squares are about -------- this big. my tang is small, and well clowns arent that big.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

Do you give him nori strips? My tang absolutely devoured those. I also soak them in a little garlic to stimulate his appetite.

4. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I had a tang that got bullied for a while and he was the same way. I would not over feed the tank it will put the weight back on. try placing a veggie clip in a place it fees comfortable with and see if this helps. Tangs like vegies and its important to feed them more then brine. If you mix up there diet it will be eating and gaining the weight back in no time. Think about you if you were skinny if you overeat your not going to get fat tommorow you fish wont either. The one I had was pretty rough but its a fatty now. Just mix it up and it will eat.

5. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

no i havent tried nori strips.. but when i got home and i gaved him the frozen brine shrimp he ate a lot.. the problem is that i dont know how much to give him in his condition. should i feed him normally? or should i give him a little more? a lot more? until he gets better.

At my LFS i dont think they have veggie clips, do you know any other known store that might offer it?

6. blumoon reefers

I would feed him normally, but add in the nori or other veggies (some feed lettuce also) on a clip as tangs need variety in their diet.

7. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

if he is eating brine he is ok also throw in a veggie clip with green algae or even romaine lettuce. then you leave it for hrs and it will give him anoppertunity to have it when its comfortable.

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

As posted above, Nori is a great source of nutrition. I feed my tang Nori every other day. In fact, the majority of my fish eat the Nori, including one of my damsels (it has gotton very, very big eating Nori).

Soak in garlic, for two reasons. At this point, a nice little case of Ich will put your yellow tang down. So boosting the immune system is an important factor to be considered with the introduction of garlic into the diet. And you really don't need to soak it. Just rub a good amount on both sides of the strip. The second is that it will entice the fish to eat to the maximum. Fish love the taste of garlic. If you were to feed the tang just meat, the tang will eventually die. They absolutely, positively need veggies.

Now, with the clip. You want to clean the clip each time. There is nothing worse than the smell of rotton Nori that has been on the clip for days. I dare my friends to take a whiff when they come over. Because I don't clean mine everytime. One almost puked. It smells nasty. My wife get's ****ed when I clean it up and the kitchen reaks like there is no tomorrow.......so it is best to keep ahead of the problem. Clean the clip.

10. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Hahaha pharmrjohn. It's funny you say that because I have a bluejaw trigger that fancies himself some nori. I agree with the above. Keep nori on a clip for your tang. This is sad but yellows are some of the more hardy tangs so you should be ok.

11. blumoon reefers

My PJ cardinals also eat the nori.....matter of fact, it seems like all in the tank it eat it. Especially when the tang tears into and drops little pieces....cleaner shrimp comes outta nowhere. LOL!

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I would recommend that you try Seaweed stripes, they love it. Something like this...

[​IMG]

Luna