long term success with condy?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by oldfishkeeper, Dec 1, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Hi All: I'm wondering if anyone has kept a condy anemone long term - long-term I mean perhaps about a year or so. I have tried to keep two condys since I converted to a reef and both just slowly shrunk and then disappeared?? I was doing some reading and saw that they prefer lower temperatures - mid 70's and then have had people say that's not true.

I would love to keep one again and would love to hear from people that have kept them alive for a good stretch of time. Thanks in advance!!

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I kept one about a year when I first joined the forum. The thread "my first saltwater tank" which was a 36 bow front had a condy in it and that thing was bullet proof. It survived all my mistakes and even when I didn't know what a nitrate test kit was! Lol. It's amazing how much we learn. But I digress, my tank was around 79 degrees and it was happy with a cheap two bulb zoo med T5 light with crappy zoo med bulbs. I wish I could be more help mindy. I seriously doubt it's your params or temp, could be something bothering them like bristle worms. Are you sure it was a condy?

4. oldfishkeeper

yep, certain they were both condys - you know it's interesting but years ago I kept a condy for quite some time in a FOWLR that had to have had nitrates off the charts - maybe condys do better in crappy conditions :)

5. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I had a condy until I added more flow. Once I added more flow, it pissed him off, never stayed in the same spot and eventually died in a corner. Funny, it was after I started cleaning up my water that this all happened. Back when the tank was not taken care of that well, it was just fine... who knows, maybe they prefer dirty tank water and low flow...

Mr. Bill likes this.
  6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

We may be onto something

Mr. Bill and zesty like this.
  7. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Mine is a year old. Doing great but taking up a lot of space
    Here it is on bottom left before I redid my aquascape

image.jpg image.jpg

Mr. Bill likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Mine has been in that rock since day 1. It's happy but I probably shouldn't say that out loud. Will probably be dead when I wake up

zesty likes this.
  10. oldfishkeeper

may I ask what you keep your temp at ballgame? is it in flow or no?

Ballgame likes this.
  11. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Here is my condy today
    image.jpg

zesty likes this.
  12. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

79-80. Sometimes 81. I'm not even sure if that's good enough for my reef.
    It's been in medium flow. High flow it goes inside rock. With pumps off it comes to play. Above is no flow

It was one of the first things I bought for tank. LFS said they are hardy and it was $7. Nothing in this hobby is $7 so I bought it.