Long Tentacle Plate coral problems

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Peredhil, Feb 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If it hasn't eaten what you placed on it, I would remove the food. Is it possible that when you handled the coral, you may have damaged the tissue? It's very difficult to handle these meaty type corals because they can become damaged so easily and can also react to the oils in our skin.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I wore gloves when I first added him... but I didn't when I moved him to the martini (I should've though).

That is a possibility.

I am going to reduce the size of the food... it was the biggest piece I've given it yet (thinking with the protection from the fish, it could handle it). I will see if it likes that better. If it doesn't take that either, I'll remove the food...

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It's not just the oil from our skin that can cause a reaction, it's also pressing the flesh of the coral against its own skeleton when we lift or move the coral which can damage or scratch the flesh. For future reference, always try to handle these types of corals in such a way that you only touch the skeleton. For plate corals, I try to slide my hand underneath them and lift them up that way, avoiding touching the fleshy parts of the coral.

5. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

This may be a newb question but if you don't ask, you don't learn. Wouldn't putting a glass over the coral be detrimental as well? I mean I would be thinking about impeding the water flow, the movement, the ability to wash away any "bad stuff" is secrets or may be on it...

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

It's not on there permanently. Just for a little while to keep the fish off the food. You are righ though.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

pics taken just a minute ago

had to turn off a PH for one pic to get a top down pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see how much flesh has pulled back. You couldn't see any of the skeleton around the edges at first.

For comparison, when it first started looking bad:

[​IMG]

You can see one of those crabs on it too

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Yes, true :) I do scoop it up when I move it at least. I haven't touched the sides or top at all.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Ouch...that's not looking good at all.That's not to say that it won't recover but it's certainly not going to eat any meats when it's that retracted so leave it be for now and hope for the best.

1 person likes this.
  11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Really? OK, now I feel bad for trying to get it to eat (the whole glass over it thing) ugh. I probably just made matters worse. Dangit.

I read these need low - moderate light and low - moderate flow. I have it (now) in low flow and low light (it's in the back area of tank and the lights are in the front area(ish)) on legs.

Since I'm going to be just leaving it be and crossing my fingers, any recommendations on light/flow? I can move it towards the front so it gets more light and i can move it to a heavier flow area or one or the other.

Thanks for the help I've been getting folks. 3reef rules.

One other question - I'm thinking the crabs caused this by irritating it/walking all over it. Is this a reasonable conclusion? It's the only coral showing distress and it's also the only one I've seen the crabs bother. But maybe the crabs were bothering it because it was failing? Not sure on cause/effect here.

12. Vkkesu

Vkkesu Spaghetti Worm

I only purchased a plate last week, so am new to them but most of the times if a coral is shedding a lot, it likes to be in enough currrent to clean it off. I'd make sure it has enough to at least keep it clean if it's slimming a bunch. Hopefully it'll work out for you.