Lobo

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Swisswiss, Aug 25, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

So after some price exchanges with the lfs I was able to get this guy for 60bucks (roughly, 100 was original price) i was able to get it cheaper due a bit of damage on it. Im hoping new tissue will cover it up soon.

Iv never owned one in the past so im at a loss here....its currently on my sand bed with low/medium flow.

Does it look happy? Do i have to feed him? It seems to have swollen up a little more in my tank than the lfs. I hope thats a good sign...

Anyway please share your thoughts and experinces....oh and an accurate ID would be appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That's a nice red lobophyllia. In my experience, LPS corals like brains and acans do much better with supplemental feedings. I've grown out a few myself and I still have a nice a can garden and I truly believe that my success has been partly due to feeding them. Since your coral is new I'd wait until the lights are off for a few hours and when the tentacles come out just take a turkey baster and squirt some mysis or other small meaty chunks on it. Keep it on the bottom of the tank with light-moderate flow and you'll be good. After awhile whenever food hits your tank the feeding tentacles will come out. It took my scoly about a week to accept foods at any time a day. I feed my LPS 3 times a week and it's worked great for me, there always puffy.

Swisswiss and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  4. Swisswiss

thx reef, iv been doing some reading on the side and feeding them does seem to be the way to go. iv noticed the feeding tentacles after lights out but it would be better if ultimately it got use to my regular feeding schedule. its been in my system for two days now and im going to try feeding it a little tonight.

also this might be wishful thinking but the "wound" seems better already

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

They grow faster if fed but as Dsc states it will eventually show a feeding response when you feed your fish. Dscs advice on placement is spot on.These can be sensitive to changes in water chemistry.

DSC reef likes this.
  6. Swisswiss

Should be perfect where it is then. At the lfs it was high up under several t5s

Attached Files:

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That's probably why it had tissue recession to be honest

Swisswiss likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

it's a pretty piece. I have never kept one so I'm not good at advice but judging by dsc's acans - if he says feeding is good then feeding is good :)

DSC reef and Swisswiss like this.