Lliverock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Lionking, Nov 13, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lionking

Lionking Astrea Snail

I have a question regarding live rock. I originally had a salt water aquarium 8 years ago and after a poor performance I converted it into a freshwater tank. The thing I did do was keep the live rock and place it in my freshwater tank. Would anything survive in the freshwater? Also I heard that over some period of time the rock can be re cultured is this true?

Thanks,

2. Click Here!

3. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

you can re-use it. Clean it first. nothing from the FW will survive to the SW and vice versa. when you use it for the SW you have to cure it.

4. Lionking

Lionking Astrea Snail

How long will it take to re culture?

Thanks,

5. avshockey311

avshockey311 Plankton

When you say culture do you mean to have it be live again? For "dead" rock to become live again you would have to seed it with some "live" rock. Good luck with the transition.

6. Lionking

Lionking Astrea Snail

Yes that is what I plan to do. I am going to add some live rock and see how long it takes to "live" again.

Thanks

7. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

[quote author=avshockey311 link=board=Newbie;num=1100407767;start=0#3 date=11/14/04 at 00:09:34]When you say culture do you mean to have it be live again? For "dead" rock to become live again you would have to seed it with some "live" rock. Good luck with the transition.[/quote]

Lionking, I would be wary of using rock that has been in a FW tank. Did you ever treat the tank for disease? Especially with a copper based medication? These medications will filter into rock and leach back into your tank causing sickness and or death to your inhabitants.
    IMHO it would be wise to throughly clean your tank and start with new live rock.
    Hope it helps,
    Scott

8. Click Here!

9. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

My only concern would be a szidls pointed out if you used copper based medications with live rock in the tank the rock will absorb it. Over time this copper leaches out and will kill your inverts. Other than that I would have been more worried about putting it in fresh water. There must have been a huge ammonia spike with all that die off. Just rinse the rock off and have at it. It will take some time for it to become live again but it will serve its purpose for bacterial filtration. Good luck and take it slow.

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

11. Lionking

Lionking Astrea Snail

Fortunately I was much luckier with freshwater and I think I may have treated the water twice in the first year I started up but none in at least 5 years of having it in FW. When I did treat the tank I used Maracide and it says it's active ingredients are aminomethane, hydroxymethyl, dibromohdyroxymercurifluorescein (LOL sounds like something from Mary Poppins!) and Aniline green. Do you think it would be okay to still use the LR?