Livestock for 29 gallon

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by TheSaltwaterGuy, Dec 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guy

Guy Spaghetti Worm

You could put it in front of the return pump, but not right in front. Maybe 5+ inches away at least.
    A I never had a frogspawn, but an open brain is an LPS also. I put it on my sand bed, because it requires very little water flow. An acropora(idk if this is right, might be better to ask a pro(corailline, 2in10, etc..)) wouldn't necessarily have to be right in front of a powerhead. But just be hit with a strong flow. Or, someone could be observant and see where the coral is the healthiest. I don't know about it in terms of GPH, if that's what you're wondering.

2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

no, never put a coral in front of a powerhead.. that will damage the tissue of the coral.
    even if it is indeed a SPS.
    yes you need to put it where you have your most flow but never in front as the constant flow of the water will blow away the tissue eventually.

frogspawn need to be where there is little flow. sand bed for example is a good spot.

4. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

ehh still a little confused on gph and where to place corals; can i just go on liveaquaria and do what they say in terms of flow and lighting? XD

5. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

yeah. they are pretty good in that. still, it isnt really that complicated.

just look at your coral, it would be fairly easy to tell if they need flow or not.
    frogspawn for example would be all retracted if its getting too much flow.. so you would just have to play around with it to get it right.. No pun intended.

6. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Well i was looking around on the internet and saw that the number of watts the lights provide for corals are like 72watts; how much would i need for SPS? and if i needed more watts then could i replace the ones in the biocube hood?

7. Guy

Guy Spaghetti Worm

The 75.23W that the biocube has, I'd consider it to be moderate. Lighting around the level of the HQI considered as high, and I'm not sure what W I'd consider robbed low.

8. Click Here!

9. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Well i might as well sell the biocube light and get like a metal halide then XD... can i actually do that? Well i assume it has an adjustable thingymajig lol

10. Guy

Guy Spaghetti Worm

I'd bet that you could get the light. But the glass hood would be a different story.. I've tried multiple times. :(

11. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

well i dont want any fish jumping out :(

12. Guy

Guy Spaghetti Worm

Exactly. XD IMO most LPS look somewhat more attractive than alot of SPS. :)