LiveRocks.com

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by mirosh, Nov 11, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Is the Live Florida Rock that comes from LiveRocks.com already cured, and even if it is, would you recommend curing it again anyway???? Right now my tank is mid cycle and already has 27lbs of Fiji in it...I wanted to add some more and this stuff looks very nice and is pretty cheap for only 10 more pounds (which is all I really want)!

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Yes I would cure it seperately before adding to an existing tank.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

My understanding is that the stuff from Florida takes less to no time to cure because it doesn't have to be shipped as far as the stuff from Fiji.

Ask liverocks and let us know. ;) :)

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Some people think of curing live rock as putting it in a vat and using a power head to blow the water around and using a turkey baster to blow off the dead plants and animals. Then waiting and changing water as the ammonia levels rise and fall and everything thats going to die off, dies off.
    The Companies in Florida that ship "Live" florida rock ship it alive and wet in water. They get upset with people who put their rock in a vat with no light and less than quality aquarium water which then causes everything to die off. This rock contains corals, sponges, bivalves and plants that need to be placed in optimal conditions to survive...
    I can see putting it in a container that has quality water, adadequate filtration and lighting. If, the tank you want to place it in has been established for a while and has animals and corals in it that are very sensitive to slight ammonia changes, because of some die off that may occur if there are delays in shipping or wild temperature fluctuations on the trip to your house.
    Any other rock that contains live animals and corals that is shipped damp, or in wet newspapers or has taken more than 10 hours to get to your house is not going to survive anyway. "Cure it"
    Just trying to confuse the issues.
    Jim

6. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

I have emailed liverocks.com and will post their reply when I receive it...this is what I wrote:

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool. Thanks Mike.

Good point on shipping wet Jim. ;) :)

8. Click Here!

9. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

On the same note, anyone hear anything about the quality and/or dependability of saltwaterwonders.com???

Thanks,
    Mike

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Mirosh,

It is probably a sure bet that you will get bristle worms with any LR! They are pretty good guys :D
    I have a bunch in my tank but I only see them at nite with a flashlight.

::)

11. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Good guys, as in good for the tank!?!?!

I have heard that they are bad for the tank!

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

One of the best detrivores and sand stirrers available!