Live Sand & One and Only

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by SeminoleB, Apr 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

I plan on using the One and Only in a new build with dead rock and dead sand from Marco. However, I have been reading of constant dust storms with the MarcoRock's fine sand (which I purchased) and a lot of people using other larger grain sand mixed in. I have access to CaribSea live sand that I can mix in to the fine dead sand but would live sand be ok to use in cinjunction with the One and Only? Would there be any adverse affects?

Thank you in advance,
    Bill

2. Click Here!

3. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

No there shouldn't be infact it will probably be benificial.you will have more diverse bacteria population.I think most of the live sand in a bag is not so live anymore when we get it:/.I do believe dr. Tims one and only is a great product. I have used it in most of my tanks.

4. SeminoleB

Sweet! Thanks for the quick response!

5. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

6. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

You should be fine but generally the live sand product can cause two short-term 'problems'. The first is that because the sand is full of organics you may see cloudy water from a short term bacterial bloom which will lead to the second which is leveled ammonia levels as the bacteria degrade the organics which causes ammonia.

As I said both are usually short-term but happen more frequently when using the live sand products.

7. SeminoleB

As both are listed as short term, will the ammonia creep back up after the leveled term? The cloudyness should pass but I don't want to stall the cycle. I assume (maybe incorrectly) that I should leave the skimmer off at this time?

8. Click Here!

9. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

What I would do is delay adding the One & Only for a few days and keep the skimmer on. If you do get a bloom from the organics in the live sand the skimmer will help control it. After 2-3 days measure ammonia - as long as it is below 5 mg/L NH3-N you can go ahead and add the bacteria (but do not add more ammonia) and turn the skimmer off for 48 hours.

After 48 hours turn the skimmer back on. Are you going a fishless cycle?

10. SeminoleB

Was actually planning on starting with fish, at least one clown. I have a 36 gal bow with 15 gal sump (probably around 40 total gallons). Purchased the 60 gallon dose.

11. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

ok - that's fine. But before adding fish measure ammonia just to make sure. I would let the one & only work for 48 hours before adding the fish.

12. SeminoleB

So the excess ammonia would come from the bacteria in the live sand? That would be enouch ammonia to kickstart the One and Only without needing the fish as the ammonia source?