Live sand mess

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Tsproul13, Apr 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tsproul13

Tsproul13 Plankton

After I added about 40 lb of live sand to my tank my water got extremely cloudy I did a little bit of research ahead of time and removed all of my live rock and livestock to a 30 gallon plastic bin with a power head and heater and airline. I was wondering how long my fish can live in the bin and how long it's going to take to uncloud. Any tips are helpful.

2. Click Here!

3. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

Long as they have air and don't fight and the water stays good, they should be just fine in the plastic bin. It only took my tank over night to clear up. Good luck with everything! You should be fine! :)

4. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

i have added live sand many times to my tanks and have never had a problem because the water clouded up, the ocean will also do this and no damage is done as far as i know, i would think there would be more damage done by removing the fish from the tank and placing them in a bin, stress will kill for sure, imo and welcome to 3reef

5. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

The fish will be fine for awhile just keep an eye on ur ammonia.you should be able to add them back in tomorrow with out any worries

6. Tsproul13

Tsproul13 Plankton

Ya I left the filters running overnight and made sure that I cleaned them out before nighttime and I also added a filtersock to the output of my canister filter and by morning there was no cloudiness whatsoever. thanks for all the help all fish made it overnight

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Welcome

Tank size? And you're keeping, or planning to keep?

Cannister filter?