Live Rocks came with Pest

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by phongt86, Mar 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

I have had a lot of good luck using Aiptasia X, it even comes with an injector and is reef safe. I have used it on 5-6 of these pests and it has done the trick on the first injection.

Red Sea Aiptasia-X 2oz (60mL)

The crab looks like an emerald to me. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

You shouldn't put stuff like the live shrimp into a tank that hasn't cycled. It could probably die. Your LFS should have advised you about this.

You really should try to get rid of the aiptasia before it spreads though. good luck.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  4. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

The crab definately looks like an emerald crab. They're good. But the anenome thing looks like aptasia, but I think I see its base is red. If so, then its probably a long tube anenome. It might just be my vision too... How big is it? And is the base red?

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I second the ID for the crab as an Emerald crab.
    I wish the picture was better, but it looks just like one. As far as cycling your tank, I would add the shrimp as suggested earlier and wait for my Ammonia to spike, once it's back to 0, you can slowly start adding live stock.

I've also used Aiptasia-X with awesome results. But after I'm done with this bottle in the future, I will try the boiling water, or even vinegar I was told you can inject to kill it.

I can only assume that if you inject any anemone with vinegar it will more than like die.

Here's a search for Emerald/Mithrax crab. Hope it helps:
    Emeral Mithrax crab - Google Search

Good luck.

6. phongt86

phongt86 Bristle Worm

you guys are very helpful thanks i will have a picture up tomorrow i had the peppermint shrimp and two chrommies for 4 days one of the fishes seem to getting weak and have a spot on him not sure what it is i saw it on him the first day i had him now it became more visible

im very facinated by this hobby to the point i became a addict been reading coutless of forums till 5am i still find my self a little confuse with tank maintenance and lighting i have two metal halide 3 led blue light and two strips of some other light (coralife product)

any sites or forum i should know about that would help me in the future?

7. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Just try dipping the rock in RO water to get the crab as he'll jump at of there. Put him in a jar and take him to the fish store and have them ID it and take it from there. I had a stone crab in my old 65g and I gave it to the fish store. They are nasty! The aptasia should be boiled off. Just get a pot and fill it with tap water and let it boil. That should do it. Copperband butterfly fish eat aptasia if you can keep them from dying, they are hard to keep but you never know.

8. Click Here!

9. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I used a syringe and needle to inject apastia with boiling water...I like the method since it cooks it so there is no viable tissue left to create a new one.

You can try a syringe meant for injecting meat. Or if you know a diabetic...I had one left from when my daughter was young and needed daily injetions.

10. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Yup it's aiptasia. I'm yet to see peppermint shrimp ever eat it though. It will only eat it as a last resort. Joe's Juice works well, just be careful with it. What ever you do, don't try & just pull it out. I have dipped my LR in RO water for a short time to get rid of hitch hikers. I think others on here have done this as well.

11. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Hope it's not ick! Time for another LFS..

any sites or forum i should know about that would help me in the future? Yup, 3Reef.com! ;D

12. phongt86

phongt86 Bristle Worm

i should take the rock out and inject it with boiling water or buy antiasia x and inject it while its in the tank?