live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by mac77, Dec 11, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mac77

mac77 Plankton

I just bought a couple pounds of live rock from a already stablished aquarium. The rock was already in the tank, for a long time, it has a lot of coralline algae and some small corals on it. I bought the rock because I am starting again with my 75 gallon. I want to cycle it with these rocks, and others that I already have, I may have a total of maye 40 or 50 punds of rock. My question is this, Do I need to cured these rocks again? I ask this because they are already cured. Or maybe just brush them a little, I dont know. Any suggestions on this? I would really apreciate your help.
    Right now I have the rocks in buckets, although most of the water has no salt, will this affect the rocks for the 2 days or 3 they will be in there? I am planing in putting them in my tank very soon. Thank you very much for your help.

2. Click Here!

3. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

If your putting your cured liverock in fresh water for 3 days then you will more than likely kill most of the life on it and it will have to be recured... I would think.

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

What Fishez said. It would be a miracle if anything survives.

Jim

5. mac77

mac77 Plankton

I just started again my tank with old and new live rock, shoul I turn the lights on? and if I need to do it, for how many hours they can stay on?
    I am cycling the tank but all the rock came from tanks already stablished.My is 75 gallon tank with live rock and a protein skimmer.
    Thanks for your opinions and recommendations.

6. Diver_1298

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Keep that skimmer cranked up and let the tank Cycle. Keep the rocks free of debris with some power head action.
    As far as the lights. Put them on a timer and let them run. Others may say they aren't needed.... I don't think they are either, but they are going to be needed sooner or later and you might as well start now. It will promote some plant growth. Enjoy and remember all the mistakes you made last time and try not to make them again. (I know I would change alot of things if I had to do it over again :)) Enjoy

Jim

7. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Ouch, dead rock. :(
    Yep let it cycle like the boys said. Maybe a little of the bacteria survived. It might recover faster.
    I'd keep the lights off. That way algae growth is slowed and the nutrients that are coming off the rock will not be recycled and can be more effeciently skimmed. It's probably no big deal one way or the other.

8. Click Here!

9. Diver_1298

I didn't think of it that way. Good Point!! But get them ready before you buy the fish.;D ;D ;D

Jim