Live rock in sump

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by nctinter, Jun 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nctinter

nctinter Skunk Shrimp

I am setting up a new tank which is going to be a peninsula. I have about 300lbs of live rock now but I am not sure I want to add all of it to the display because it would ruin the whole idea of the peninsula. Is putting rock in the sump just as effective as in the dt? I have a lot of room to work with under the tank and think I can get a good 200lbs in a sump along with skimmer and return pump and refugium...Anyone have success with this?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I have LR in my sump. You must have a big sump to hold 200lbs. How big is your DT?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

4. jeff@zina.com

[email protected] Flamingo Tongue

Sump or display, it's the same water. Plus it can help grow pods in the sump.

Jeff

Text mangled by iPhone spell check...

5. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Live rock is effective in the sump provided ample spaces are incorporated for good flow (don't pack too tight). Some maintain that some light benefits certain strains of bacteria and other living things such as coralline.

6. nctinter

nctinter Skunk Shrimp

Thanks guys..display is 265. Sump is a 150 but I might go smaller. I have the 150 so I wanted to use it. Might go with around a 100 gallon. I plan on using a dart for return with 1.5 inch drains so I should have good flow through the sump

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk