Live rock from the LFS...will it smell?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by hitman83, Jan 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hitman83

hitman83 Plankton

I've read a lot of threads about curing live rock and I'm a little concerned about the smell. However, the LFS sells the stuff at about $7/lb sraight out of one of their tanks. If I buy the rock from that tank is it safe to say that it's already been cured and won't smell when I put it in my tank? Also, I'll be building a fish only tank with live rock so do I still need the 1lb/gallon? Some seem to think I do, others don't. FWIW I'm starting a 72 gallon tank.

2. Click Here!

3. fat-tony

fat-tony Plankton

YOu should be pretty safe. It will have "some" smell (it's out of the ocean), but is marginal when compared to rock that has die-off on it

4. Marlin65

Marlin65 Astrea Snail

The one pound per gallon is old thinking it depends on what other filtration you are going to run with it.
    Like a Refugium, Skimmer, DSB, ECT
    In a fish only you will need a large bio load so you should create that somehow with rock, sand or your refugium. Preferably all three.

Even uncured rock will not smell that bad just make sure to scrape all the dead sponges off.

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Shouldn't smell to bad. Make sure of how long that rocks been in their tank. At least for cycling purposes..

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

If it does smell bad, then their is die off associated with the rock!
    1ponud of live rock per gallon isn't a relative monitor in my opinion! Rock varies in size and weight with alot of it being very porous and lightweight. With this in mind, and you purchase mostly porous rock, chances are you will end up without being able to place anything in the tank, in efforts to accomplish the 1pound per gallon rule. Then you have the problem with advection and diffusion as well unless you set all your live rock ontop of eggcrate to keep as much of the live rock off the substrate/benthic area of your tank.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If it smells, just run some carbon and a skimmer :)

8. Click Here!

9. LiVEWiRE

LiVEWiRE Plankton

Live rock should not stink. It should smell kinda like the ocean. If it stinks then most likely their are things that are dead in the holes and creases and I would never buy it. Think about it your gonna put that in your tank you work so hard on. So if it smells kinda like the ocean then buy it. If it stinks then leave it your tank will thank you. Just my opinion.

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Welcome, Hitman83! For a FOWLR tank, there isn't necessity to have th tank stocked straight up to the top with LR from the very beginning. I'd just make sure you have at minimum 50 lbs for starters (this is my opinion only), and keep adding LR as time goes on. Monitor your ammonia and keep your fish additions incremental, and gradual so the nitrifying bacteria have time to reach equilibrium with the growing bioload. As long as your ammonia is not spiking, you know you have enough LR for the time being.

Good luck!

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Just buy base rock and let it come alive in your own tank that way you are not worried about adding problems. I buy used LR that people sale and I nuke the stuff in 50/50 bleach and make my own base rock. That way I know exactly what goes in my tank. Usually find it for a bout $.25 to $.75 per lb and it takes me 3 weeks to get it ready for a tank. I have about 100 lbs in the garage right now drying that I am adding to my sump for added surface area.

That way I can spend the money I save on good equipment not rock.

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

funny you should say that otty i have 200 lbs in a rubber maid sitting in the garage, to funny.