Live Rock from PETCO

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by texanjordan, Jan 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

Starting a new reef aquarium, I have 120 pounds of Live Sand for a DSB and so far 45 pounds of Base Rock. I am planning on buying a couple of large pieces of Live Rock from PETCO. They carry live Fiji rock and they sell a 5-6 pound chunk of this for 20.00. I plan on getting around 2 chunks of this to seed my base rock for a total of 56-60 pounds of rock in my 46 Bow. Has anyone bought live rock from PETCO? Their LR looks good, and has alot of coraline on it allready. Tell me your thoughts.

2. Click Here!

3. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

You don’t need to buy “live rock”
    You will get coralline, on snail shells.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow. PETCO has Fiji rock now? :eek:
    Well if it's porous it sounds ok to me. That is a decent price.
    Is it in its own tank or connected to their system of tanks?

5. moose

moose Astrea Snail

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. I haven't seen it at my local store, but sure enough..

Live Rock Fiji Premium at PETCO

6. texanjordan

they sell it at the local stores, and they are in their connected salt water tanks, and they are pre cured and everything. You just buy it take it home and put it in your tank. No cycling necessary

7. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

My tank was started with petcos fiji live rock.. anyways. The way the stores system is ran at least at ours. They have 3 sets of tanks for saltwater. each on their own system. Two FO, and a Reef Setup. I dont mind my rock. Its nice for stacking and bridge building :)

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

not speaking for all petco locations but I have buddies (2 buddies, 2 tanks, 2 petco locations) who got rock from petco that killed their systems. Personally, I wouldn't let petco rock anywhere near my tank.

It's been over a year or so, so things may be different... I'm not going to test it though.

One other disclaimer, both petco's were in the same basic area... so whatever you can read into that.

10. javi515707

javi515707 Plankton

PETCO has good live rock.
    I bought allot most of my live rock from them an it was good.

11. texanjordan

well, im starting my tank brand new, and will be using a few chunks of live rock as well as alot of base rock and live sand and cycling. So i am not worried about tank dying!

12. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I ordered nearly all of my LR (fiji) from petco and am very satisfied with it. Had lots of goodies on it that survived shipment.