Live Rock die off?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Stingray, Apr 23, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Hi all,
    Its been a while got rid of my marine tank until i could afford a tank with a sump, well now i got one, while i was picking up some parts today i did a detour to collect some live rock, just £5 a kilo, so i took 20 kilos, thing is some is dead, i can tell by the smell and the rest of it is sitting dry in my kitchen and has been for 4 hours now, only just started making ro water for a 55 gallon, should i nuke all the rock and start again because of die off, or what would you suggest so i could maybe save some, and is it ok to rinse the sand with tap water,

Thanks a bunch

Stingray

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

May help start your cycle.

4. Stingray

May well help, but i'm sitting here waiting for a more definitive answer, before i do something i should not have, so its ok to put rotting rock in my new tank, all 20kilo of it?

5. Stingray

The way my RO unit is going i would say 6hrs every 2 and half gallon, for a 55 gallon, its gonna be a while before the rock will be able to go in

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

May have bought the rock a bit early. The dying rock will defintly start a cycle, good for a start up. Wait till the cycle ends before you add any kind of livestock. Washing the sand in tap? If you have to, dechlorinated tap?
    Slow ER down do it right

1 person likes this.
  7. Stingray

ok, soon as tank is full with ro, salt and warm will add sand and all 20 kilo live rock, should be a day or 2 before then,
    Thanks

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

If it is going to be a day or two before you put the live rock in the tank, I highly suggest filling a small container with salt water and a heater and keeping it in there until you move it to the tank.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

No problem at all. That's what this site is for; gathering opionions from everyone and forming your own.

11. Stingray

Can live rock be placed in pure ro water, my tank is half full with it at the moment and i want to wait till its full before adding salt,

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I wouldn't put it in RO without salt because it probably would kill a lot of beneficial bacteria.