live rock curing/ getting rid of green hair algae

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by wyeth.4, Apr 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wyeth.4

wyeth.4 Plankton

I need help with something. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Long story short. 5 years ago we had a 125 gallion saltwater tank. we built a new house and moved and everything died in the tank. So we just put all the live rock in plastic totes and stored them in our basement. We are setting the tank back up now and all the live rock is covered in green algae.

Should we put all the rock in a 55 gallon tank with powerheads, filters and a skimmer and just let it sit and loosen up all that algae with no lights on it? and hope that the algae comes off. Or should we just put it in our 125 gallon tank that its going to end up going in and do the same process.

What is the best way to get rid of all the algae?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hopefully you will get a better answer than this one of mine

if the rock was in a tub, I assume it was dry or moist but not in water
    in which case the rock is no longer live rock IMO
    even if it was in water for 5 years, with no nutrients then the bacteria will have all died off anyway IMO

so what I believe you have now, is a load of what could be described as base rock, but its covered in hard dead algae?

if it where me, and I wanted to use these rocks again, I would pour boiling hot water over it, and scrub it with a clean non metalic scrubber (Scotch pad) Im sure the algae will be dead, and the scalding water will help loosen it , and give it several rinses before adding to my tank.

Steve

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

the algae won't just come off if it's gha, but it will die if you don't turn any lights on. also a good algae crew from reefcleaners would help a lot! a bunch of chitons and some mexican turbos and you'll get rid of the gha fast! will you be using ro/di water when you set up this tank?

5. wyeth.4

wyeth.4 Plankton

I think what ill do is put all the "dead rock" in the 125 gallon tank with powerheads, skimmer, filters and our uv sterilizer for a while and get the water chemstry up to the proper levels then order some snails and craps and let me go to town on the algae.

Cuttingras: we will be using well water to set the tank up.

Is there any chemicals to kill algae that could be put into the tank and not harm the water chemstry for the future when we are ready to put fish/coral into the tank?

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i hope you test that well water, for atleast silicates or phosphates.

there was one product i think , but algae isnt a problem excess nutrients(algae feeds on them, corals are killed buy them) is a problem.

i wouldn't try to walk with a broken leg even if you put salve on it that takes down the swelling

1 person likes this.
  7. cuttingras

Try to stay away from chemicals, unless you can test for them, like putting calcium, magnesium or ph or kh adjusters.

K+

8. Click Here!

9. wyeth.4

wyeth.4 Plankton

Thanks for all the help!!

10. wyeth.4

wyeth.4 Plankton

Cuttingras: is the shrimp to get the bacteria levels up?

11. cuttingras

yes it pretty much helps the cycle start. kinda a kick start. plus it feeds the stuff on your rock and in your sand.