Live rock curing and light

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by FizNid, Oct 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FizNid

FizNid Plankton

Hi all I am starting a saltwater tank and I have added about 80 lbs of base rock(fiji, tonga etc) and added about 50 lbs of fiji live and 25 lbs of flordia live. Is there any set amount of light I need to be using while this cures in my tank? Is there such a thing as too much light? Thanks for any help.

FizNid

2. Click Here!

3. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

hi FizNid,

it would be great if you tell us your tank size. You could put it in your signature. The more we know about your setup the easier it is to help you.

Yvonne

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You don't need light to cure live rock. If you're trying to encourage coralline algae to grow, you'll want to know that coralline grows better/faster under lower light conditions. If you've got your actinic blues seperate from your white lights, you can just run the blues for about 8 hours a day for now.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=FizNid link=board=General;num=1096937015;start=0#0 date=10/04/04 at 17:43:35]Is there any set amount of light I need to be using while this cures in my tank? Is there such a thing as too much light? Thanks for any help.
    FizNid[/quote]

Too much as in too long?
    I would go as low as 6 during curing or as high as 12, but nothing longer (during curing or not) unless you want a lot of algae to grow.