Live rock covered in glass anenomes

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by whiptofiz, Jul 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. whiptofiz

whiptofiz Fire Worm

Hi Guys

My rocks are covered in glass anenomes in a tank that I am taking down. It is beyond the point of no return, we are talking 1000's..... I was gone for a extended period of time......not impressed but I want to move forwards and salvage the live rock if possible.

Do you guys think I could I put it in a dark place for a few weeks to kill everything off. Then re-cycle it in a QT and id be good? Or am I gonna have to all out go crazy and boil the rocks? Its horrible.....I don't even wanna post pictures.

2. Click Here!

3. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

post pics dude.... But you can just put the rocks outside and let them boil, or else it might not completely go away

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Is it just an aiptasia issue that is prompting you to restart? Might I suggest one last ditch effort?

By a handful of $5 peppermint shrimp. I am confident they will clean house in short order.

1 person likes this.
  5. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

peppermint shrimp did the trick for me as well but you need a few of them

if not you will have to nuke the rock

6. sigmoid

sigmoid Astrea Snail

Just make sure that if you boil live rock, that you do it outdoors with ample protection against anyone breathing the fumes. (There are some pretty bad stories of life threatening poisoning floating around...)

And no, opening the windows doesn't count as outdoors... XD

7. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

you can try the peppermint shrimp thing, but once they've eaten all of your pest anemone, they'll start munching on corals. they're known to do that

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Berghia Nudbranch will clean it out in a few weeks for sure. other than that I would 'cook' them in high salinity vats for a good while before boiling them.

10. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

Get a half dozen pepp shrimps and let them do the work. Once they clear everything out, bring them to your LFS for credit or even give them to them. The work of boiling live rock and all that goes along with it is much more difficult then some peppermint shrimp!