Live Rock Collecting...

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Superpede1, Nov 14, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Superpede1

Superpede1 Astrea Snail

I realize this isnt really DIY but it is collecting it yourself (CIY?). I live in Florida so I was wondering if it would be a good idea to collect my own live rock seeing as thats what I was told live rock companies do. Would there be too many Bristleworms and such on it? How could I get rid of those kinds of things? Should I quarentine the rock so it doesnt bring any parasites or anything into the tank?:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I believe it is VERY against the law is Florida.
    But I maybe wrong. I'm just recalling something I read here years ago

J

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

One word, no!

It's beyond VERY ILLEGAL :D It's a great way to end up in jail and out many thousands of dollars. It is also a great way to meet Floridas finest ;)

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

The live rock companies don't collect wild rock. They collect rock they submerged themselve and only with many permits that aren't being issued any longer. IIRC they (permits) can't be grandfatherred either.

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

If you are really intersested in what you can or cannot collect from Florida State waters (within 9 nautical miles of shore) Here is the link to the site.
    http://myfwc.com/marine/recreational/recharvestmls.htm

Just use a little common sense. And don't take everything that you see ;)
    I have harvested a few things myself.

Prohibited Species: All harvest is prohibited of the following species:
    Live rock, Bahama starfish (Oreaster reticulatis), longspine urchin (Diadema antillarum), Venus sea fan (Gorgonia flabellum), common sea fan (Gorgonia ventalina), any hard or stony coral (Order Scleractinia), or any fire coral (Genus Millepora)

7. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Also, if you are in the Keys, you need to consider federal law as well...as they are a federally protected marine sanctuary. They typically go by the leave nothing and take only pictures moto....

8. Click Here!

9. Superpede1

Superpede1 Astrea Snail

Looks like collecting live rock isnt a good idea :(.

10. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Try www.liverocks.com. They farm their rocks in the gulf and in the keys. It is great stuff, and reasonably priced. I have ordered from them several times, and their rock is great....and ecologically conscious