Urgent Live Rock and Live Stock

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ComputerJohn, Apr 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Ok, I have my hands full & It's going to be a long night. I received a call from my buddy today that a friend of ours is a realtor. A tenet moved a left a saltwater system behind running and no one has cared for it.
    So I bolted there this afternoon after work. What I found was a 75gal in a mess. So I filled two 5gal buckets with LR and put the live stock in another. My concern is that the LR looks fine, but that salinity was 1.036! The live stock right now I'm slowly dropping the salinity, but with the LR, will it raise the salinity in my QT tank?

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I would think it will a little. If there is water in the rock its salinty is going to add in with yours. The true question is going to be the difference between that salinty, your, and can the live stock handle it. You may want to consider raising your closer to the livestocks water to prevent any salinty shock.

4. ComputerJohn

Yeah we'll see. Live stock doing ok.

5. ComputerJohn

I was trying to figure out what kind of fish I ended up getting. I have two that are yellowish. OMG those two yellow fish are Blue Green Chromis! What the heck happened? How long was the old system uncared for? They seem to be in good spirits.

Here's a pic of one of them. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

A lot of coloration in fishes comes from their diet. Their only food has likely been only algae for a while. It's also probably been just hair and film algaes which are nothing like Spirulina, Kelp, Ogo, etc. To give you an idea of how much impact diet has, I had 5 Dispar Anthias which were healthy but were a little on the yellow side. I purposely ensured that at least one of their daily feedings consisted of foods high in astaxanthene. In 3 weeks, they were some of the most vibrant Dispars that I've ever seen.

That's a real long way of saying that under stable water parameters and quality foods, I wouldn't be shocked to watch their coloration return quickly. (A human can survive for a loooong time on water and rice with some beans for protein thrown in on occasion. Surviving isn't the same as thriving though. It would be a good idea to supplement with a quality vitamin and HUFA supplement to return them to health. Actually, I recommend that with completely healthy fish).

1 person likes this.
  7. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

Inwall comming in again with solid advice.also looks like some sort of rabbitfish in the pic or damsel.

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Looks like a domino damsel hiding behind the rock.

10. ComputerJohn

Hello everyone and Happy Easter. Yeah I'm hoping their color will return pretty quickly. It does look like I do have a few damsels. Grrr, not my fish by choice, but they look pretty mellow right now.

11. ComputerJohn

Well nothing dead this morning, good sign. :)

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Awesome!!!